Saturday, August 2, 2008

2 Samuel 6 & 1 Chronicles 13 & 15:1-16:3

Some of you will look at all the chapters listed in today's post title and want to scream at me for covering too much. But let me explain. You see, the story of David moving the ark of the covenant in 2 Samuel 6 is repeated in greater detail in 1 Chronicles. The definition of chronicle according to thefreedictionary.com is "a detailed narrative record or report." So 1 & 2 Chronicles are repeats of the stories of the kings beginning with David in 2 Samuel and going all the way through 1 & 2 Kings. If you take a quick glance at the chronological reading plan we are following, you will see the Chronicles sprinkled throughout Days 13 through 29. I just want you to enjoy how the Bible is the best commentary on itself. I love how it is neatly packaged and tied with a bow for us to delight in.

So today we will discuss the story told in 2 Samuel 6, and then we will cover 2 Samuel 7 on another day. Are ya with me?

King David decided to bring the ark of the covenant to Jerusalem, where he was building his own palace. So, where had the ark been all these years? We read just a piece of the story in 1 Samuel 7 when the people of Kiriath Jearim (same city as Baalah of Judah in 2 Samuel 6) took the ark to Abinadab's house. The Philistines had stolen the ark in 1 Samuel 4 but returned it when God struck them with tumors because of it. Then the Israelites in Beth Shemesh were afraid of it and sent it to Kiriath Jearim (Baalah of Judah). Saul must not have wanted to mess with it either, because he left it there. King David wanted the worship of God to be central in his kingdom; so he went to the trouble to put the ark on a cart and attempt to transport it to the capital city.

The ark on a cart? Woops. God had instructed Moses to have the priests carry the ark with poles on their shoulders. So even though David and his men had the best intentions, God was not pleased with their actions. 2 Samuel 6:2 tells us that the LORD Almighty sits enthroned between the cherubim on the ark. The ark was God's throne here on earth. Uzzah reached out and touched the very place where God was enthroned, and he paid with his life for not respecting God's throne as sacred. We should praise God daily for not doing the same to us. How often do I disrespect God's presence with my words, thoughts, and actions?

David was right to be angry and afraid. It was also wise of him to put the ceremony on hold to do some research on the proper way to carry the throne of God. So in the three-month interim, the family of Obed-Edom enjoyed God's tremendous blessings. I wonder what that was like! Do you think the neighbors wanted to come by and have a look? What a conversation piece in your living room, huh! After Uzzah's death, I suppose the ark of the covenant would have been kept under lock and key, and no one would have wanted to go near it. I hope people came by to worship God though. At any rate, word got back to David that Obed-Edom was being blessed because of the ark (2 Samuel 6:12).

The second time, David consecrated the priests and offered sacrifices and did the whole thing up right. I am so thankful that 1 Chronicles 15 gives us all the yummy details about this celebration. Details are my love language, and my God is a detail Man!!! David even gave gifts of bread, dates, and raisins to the crowd. Cool! It reminds me of how excited I was as a little girl when Santa showed up at the end of the school Christmas play every year. He would pass out bags of oranges, apples, and candy to every child who wanted one. I thought I was so special. I hope David actually participated in handing out the gifts to all the children. What a special blessing to receive a gift from the king.

I mentioned in a previous post that David's wife Michal was jealous of his worship of God. 2 Samuel 6:20-23 is the best example of how to fight dirty in marriage. Michal slanders David's religious beliefs, and she is super jealous of her husband in the presence of his slave girls. Then David makes snide remarks about Michal's daddy and basically throws Michal's concerns back in her face, making her more jealous of the slave girls. Michal had no children, not because of being barren, in my opinion. I believe her husband refused intimacy with her from that day on.

I wish God had given us examples of perfect marriages in Scripture. Instead, He shows us families like David's. I think it is because there is no such thing as a perfect marriage, because marriage is a union of two imperfect people coming from two imperfect families with baggage of their own. Making marriage work is hard most of the time, but it is so worth the effort. If I could have sat down with Michal and David, I would have told them not to get married in the first place. They got married to spite Michal's father, and they did not worship the same God. Marriage is tough enough when you do worship together. Having opposite religious beliefs magnifies the issues. We have to be on the same page spiritually with our spouses. If you are not, then it is your job to pray for your husband. You are not his junior holy spirit. You have to trust God with his soul. Well, I could go on and on with my marriage advice, but I'm not sure you would want to listen. So, I'll close for now and look forward to hearing your comments.

4 comments:

  1. v. 5 David and the whole house of Israel were celebrating with all their might before the Lord...

    I want to come before the Lord this way, but then it continues that the ark was on the cart and Uzzah lost his life for the mishandling of it. Do I celebrate with all of my might but miss other things that I should be doing? Even though I celebrate in the Lord, I may not be pleasing to Him in other areas. Wow, I need to examine my heart and mind and see what the Lord says I am missing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Melinda. How do I make certain I have the pure heart Paul mentions in 1 Timothy 1:5? I don't want to be the teacher in 1 Timothy 1:7 who does not know what I am talking about so boastfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I love the stories of King David, actually I love all the stories of the Bible. However,I have to wonder, why did God allow David and so many others in the Bible to have multiple wives? I have never understood that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific question, Katherine. But I have to ask, why does God allow me to gossip, lie, or complain? These too are sins according to His laws. Why doesn't God just wipe us off the face of the earth?

    We serve a God of grace and compassion, a God of second chances, Who uses our weaknesses to display His glory.

    Multiple wives was not God's perfect plan for David. He and his son Solomon definitely suffered the consequences of their choices. Nehemiah points this out in his book in Chapter 13 verse 26.

    My husband Trent reminded me this morning that Israel's sin was in wanting to be like everybody else. They wanted a king, and the kings too wanted to be like all the other nations. It was tradition for kings to give their daughters in marriage to other kings in order to form national alliances. Just because the culture says it's okay, doesn't mean God will approve or bless the decision.

    ReplyDelete