Tuesday, August 5, 2008

2 Samuel 7, 1 Chronicles 17

Will you start your study this morning by declaring out loud the Word God gave to you from 1 Chronicles 16? Say it loud and proud, girls!

I had fun this morning comparing 2 Samuel 7 and 1 Chronicles 17. I rolled the pages back in my Bible and read the two chapters side-by-side. They are almost identical with very minor differences. If you are reading the Scripture on the computer, open two browser windows and read them side-by-side.

The first statement that leapt off the page at me was that the king was settled in his palace. I'm in the middle of packing my house for a move; so I look forward to that feeling of peace that comes from getting settled again. Then I enjoyed finding out that David has a new spiritual mentor in the prophet Nathan. I would have appreciated a little better introduction to Nathan though, wouldn't you? He just shows up, and we don't know anything else about him. David trusts him though, and we will find out that they have a strong enough relationship that David will listen to Nathan's rebuke. I want accountability friendships like that.

I also think it is fabulous that Nathan goes to the LORD in prayer concerning David's desire to build a temple for God. When people tell you what they think God is calling them to, do you earnestly pray for them? Nathan quickly told David to go ahead and do what he wanted, but after praying about it, God came back with a different response. Isn't it cool that David was willing to accept his friend's wise counsel? Scripture doesn't even record that David questioned Nathan's report. David just immediately began to praise the LORD!

I would think David was disappointed that he would not see his dream fulfilled, and we will see that at the end of his life, he goes to great lengths to make provision for Solomon to carry it out. But in this passage today, David is just tickled to death that God has a plan for his family's future. "Who am I, O Sovereign LORD, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?" "Is this your usual way of dealing with man, O Sovereign LORD?"

I think the real key is David's motivation. He says, "Do as you promised, so that your name will be great forever. Then men will say, "The LORD Almighty is God over Israel!" Sure, David was excited that his family tree would be established forever, but his greatest desire was to glorify God! When I ask God to do a mighty work in my life, do I ask for my own benefit, or do I ask so that God's name will be great forever? I want people to look at my life and say, "The LORD Almighty is God over the Young family!" I don't want them saying how cool Dana is.

As I read the Word of the LORD that came to Nathan, the word "forever" kept jumping out at me. God said He would establish the throne of David and his offspring "forever" and that the people of Israel would not be oppressed anymore. This really bothered me because the Jews have been persecuted throughout their history. So, what did God mean by "forever?" I have a couple of thoughts, but I want to hear yours first. Will you post a comment or send me an email at tydyd_89@yahoo.com?

Have fun seeking the LORD today!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Trent's mom sent me the following comment via email this morning. Thanks for chiming in!:

    When God told David he would bless his family forever - two things come to mind. First of all, Jesus was born from the lineage of David and we are all blest because of Jesus being born for all our sins. Then also something else that comes to mind is even tho the Jews have been persecuted all down thru the ages, God has always protected a small number to carry on their heritage - in other words he has never allowed anyone or anything to anhilate (sp) the Jewish race - they are the "apple of his eye".

    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so is Nathan in 2 Samuel 7 the son of David mentioned in 2 Samuel 5:14? What a great relationship shared between Father and son. Hmmm....God the Father and Jesus the Son.

    Dana wrote..."As I read the Word of the LORD that came to Nathan, the word "forever" kept jumping out at me. God said He would establish the throne of David and his offspring "forever" and that the people of Israel would not be oppressed anymore. This really bothered me because the Jews have been persecuted throughout their history. So, what did God mean by "forever?"

    Was Jesus ever accepted as the King that He is? He did establish the kingdom forever through his death and ressurection. He wore a crown of thorns and He is in the lineage of David. We look for the earthly portrayal of things but it has already been done...now we wait for His return!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent point, Melinda. Yes, His thrown has already been established forever more. We tend to forget that because of living here in this time. I wish he would hurry up with His return. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking about the kings of the old testament and there were some really great kings but they each seemed to have something that was a thorn to them. Then the King of Kings was sent, in human form just like us, yet flawless and so many missed Him. Still today we are searching...searching and the only one to fill that void we are trying so desperately to fill is Jesus Christ...the King of Kings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My devotion today from Turning Point just summed up for me about our topic the other day of how we all feel we don't belong and how weird we are. Listen ladies, we have something to celebrate in not "fitting in" here. I won't put it all here, but the part of why we feel so out of place.

    "Paul says our "citizenship is in heaven," not in this world (Philippians 3:20). It's why, over time, Christians begin to feel more and more out of place with the cultures of this world; why they speak of God's eternal kingdom as "going home." When we exchange our earthly home for our kingdom home is up to God. In the interim, our job is to so walk in the Spirit that we aren't "conformed to this world"; that we aren't squeezed into the world's mold, as Bible translator J. B. Phillips put it.

    When you leave home today, let it remind you of where your true home is--in Christ Jesus, now and for eternity."


    Praise God we don't fit in here!!!! Amen!! Praying everone has a blessed and weird day because we're in Christ. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melinda, I love your statement about Jesus being the only King without a sinful thorn in His flesh. Then 2 Corinthians 5:21 tells us, "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." Praise be to God! He took my place.

    In researching Nathan, my cross references point out that Bathsheba was the mother of David's son named Nathan. (1 Chronicles 3:5) I wonder if they named him after the prophet Nathan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa, thank you so much for sharing your devotional. This world is not my home, I am just passing through! Thanks for the reminder that we are not supposed to fit in to this earthly culture.

    ReplyDelete