Monday, August 25, 2008

1 Kings 8, 2 Chronicles 5-7:10

This reading is quite extensive, but these two passages are almost identical. There are a number of places in these Scriptures that should cause you to break out in praise and thanksgiving to the God of Israel, who is also the God of the foreigner (you and me)!

Can you just imagine the enormous celebration Solomon and his people held? Can you hear the people shouting and the instruments playing? Can you see the children running about giggling and playing, their mothers standing in huddles smiling with pride? Can you see each father bringing the sacrificial animal for his family, so many cattle, sheep and goats that no one could count them? Can you sense the excitement? The Israelites had not participated in central, corporate worship for quite some time. Now they had a temple for Name of the One True God, Yahweh! The Israelites knew how to celebrate! Girls, we should throw a party when we worship Christ!

And then the priests carried the ark of the covenant on its poles and placed the throne of the Living God in the sanctuary. Can you imagine the awestruck faces of the people who may not have seen the ark since David had moved it? How nervous would you be if you had been assigned the task of opening the ark to verify that its contents were still there? Then what if you had to be the one to report that only the stone tablets remained? Where were the manna and Aaron's staff? (Heb. 9:4)


1 Kings 8:10-11 "When the priests withdrew from the Holy Place, the cloud filled the temple of the LORD. And the priests could not perform their service because of the cloud, for the glory of the LORD filled his temple." Girls, I am on my face before God, and I hope you are too! I wanna see God's glory fill my church, my house, and my life. I want people to know I have been with God! We should not be able to go on about our routine business because God's presence is so overwhelming in our daily lives. Whew!


I hope you will allow me a little side trip to take a look at the word "glory." I am fascinated by this little word, and I have been for the past ten years or so, ever since Beth Moore touched on it in one of her Bible studies. The glory of God is the presence of God, and when you and I glorify God, we are making His presence evident to the people around us. I used to get so worried about whether or not I was bringing glory to God because I thought I had to perform perfectly for Him to receive glory in my life. That is too much pressure! Through that Bible study, I came to understand that just by being real, I could show God to others. I didn't have to put on a show; I just had to be transparent, and God would shine through me. I tell you, it was a freeing thought! Now my entire goal in life is to invite others to "Come glorify the Lord with me, let us exalt His Name together!" (Psalm 34:3) I'm so glad you accepted the invitation!

1 Kings 8:17-19--I am so thankful that God planted it in David's heart to build the temple. And I am very grateful that David's dream did not die with him. God allowed his son Solomon to bring it to fruition. Praise the LORD! Are you leaving a godly legacy for your children to pick up when you are gone? What work for God are you doing that your kids will want to take up in your absence? Please do not make the mistake of simply willing your material possessions to your descendants. Pass on your love for Jesus to those who will follow you.

1 Kings 8:27 "But will God really dwell on earth? The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built!" Amen!!

I love Solomon's boldness as he makes requests of God. Solomon knew he and the people would sin (v. 46), and he knew they would need God's mercy and grace; so he boldly asked for it. He asked God to judge between right and wrong, to hear and forgive sin, to teach them the right way to live, to forgive and act, and to deal with them as individuals. Solomon begged God to hear their plea and to uphold their cause, to forgive all their offenses, and to cause their conquerors to show them mercy. He asked God to listen to them because God had singled them out as his chosen people. Solomon also asked God to make allowances for any foreigners because he knew God's fame would spread to other lands and that people would come seeking to worship the One True God. Wow! I think he covered all the bases, don't you? Solomon ended his prayer with praise and a final request that all people may know that the LORD is God and that there is no other. (v. 60)

1 Kings 8:63--After he dedicated the temple, Solomon sacrificed 22,000 cattle and 120,000 sheep and goats. If they could count that many animals, then I cannot even fathom how many animals were sacrificed in verse 5!!!!!! Verse 64 says the bronze altar was too small to hold it all. I'm pretty sure our offering plates are rarely overflowing like that.

1 Kings 8:65--Fourteen days. When was the last time you went to church for a 14-day celebration? I remember when I was little Vacation Bible School lasted two weeks, and I have heard people talk about revivals lasting that long. Our attention spans fizzle out too soon in our day and time. Actually, I think that's a cop-out. Do you agree?

I will end today's post by quoting the end of Solomon's prayer that is recorded in 2 Chronicles 6:40-42. "Now, my God, may your eyes be open and your ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place. Now arise, O LORD God, and come to your resting place, you and the ark of your might. May your priests, O LORD God, be clothed with salvation, may your saints rejoice in your goodness. O LORD God, do not reject your anointed one. Remember the great love promised to David your servant."

6 comments:

  1. I just want to confess that God has convicted my heart this morning. I have not kept up with you like I should and I quit responding from fear. Fear that I would look silly because I can't spell and I don't know where commas go all the time and Dana I want to apologize to you because this is how we as Christians discourage each other and not even realize it! I am sorry!


    I want to also pick your brains about something God spoke to me this morning, not sure if it goes along with what we are studying but I feel that I need to share. I AM NOT ON MY SOAP BOX, I AM JUST DISCOURAGED AT MYSELF!


    When I have my quite time and I realy focus on letting God fill me with His grace and His love and His kindness I really can feel it,I really can feel the Holy Spirit hug me, is that weird to say out loud? Why do I feel ashamed to admit that to you? Why does fear have to hold us back from even worshipping God like we know we should? Who cares if someone else thinks that I am a Jesus freak? what really matters, how we live on earth or where we go once it is our time to leave earth? It doesn't seem like a hard question, yet I still try to justify why I am not face down before the Lord everyday. I make it hard! God may test me, and we know He will, but that isn't the hard part really, the hard part is just letting God have control. I have been controled my whole life by someone else, sooooo to willingly give someone else control, and you can't even see them.............it has to be a heart thing, how could it not? My heart aches to TRULY know Jesus, I think I TRULY love Jesus with all my heart............so how can I let fear be so much more powerful then love?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilary, I also struggle with similar things. I just wrote that my grandpa had heartaches and I was supposed to put heart attack. Wow, People probably think I am dumb or whatever, but you know what God knows my heart and that's what matters. We are just plain women, mother's, wives - working on making it through each day and that is what is so great! God is using us, plain us! Don't stop sharing, please!

    I then wanted to share something from Max Lucado's book "Walking with the Savior"
    "Jesus spoke of freedom, but he spoke of a different kind of freedom: the type of freedom that comes not through power but through submission. Not through control but through surrender. Not through possessions but through open hands. God wants to emancipate his people;he wants to set them free. He wants his people to be not slaves but sons (and daughters). He wants them governed not by law but by love. We have been liberated from our own guilt and our own legalism. We have the freedom to pray and the freedom to love the God of our heart. And we have been forgiven by the only one who could condemn us. We are truly free!"

    Galatians 5:1 says We have freedom now, because Christ made us free. So stand strong. Do not change and go back into the slavery of the law.

    So, we are free but sometimes, actually alot of times Satan will make us doubt- ourselves and even God. He will convince us that we have not given control to God because we still struggle with things. It goes on in Gal. 5:6 to say "The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love."

    Love God with all you have each day, love yourself because He made you and love me, your neighbor. That's what God wants from each of us, our love. God loves you and so do I!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies you have so encouraged my heart this morning. Hilary to feel God's pleasure, there is no other feeling in the world that matches up to that. Thank you for being bold in sharing that and don't hesitate to ever share with others the love you have for the Lord or His love He has for you and others! Dana's reminders about what "glory" means "The glory of God is the presence of God, and when you and I glorify God, we are making His presence evident to the people around us." May we as saints rejoice in God's goodness and may our joy and enthusiasm be uncontainable as we face our day today! Thanks for your insight too Melinda. Your words are full of wisdom! As always Dana, looking forward to your next blog. Take care! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Hilary, I pray I would never discourage anyone from being involved in studying God's Word. Please don't feel like you have to do anything perfectly! Write in one long run-on sentence if you want to, and as long as you are pouring out words from an honest heart, none of us care how the words are spelled! Thank you for your honesty! It makes me love you all the more!!!

    Oh, I absolutely want a Holy Spirit hug! Those are the best kind ever. You know it is the enemy who wants us to feel ashamed. Shame does not come from God. Satan doesn't want us getting all gushy about our love for God because he knows that is exactly what will attract others to Jesus. Hilary, when you talk about being able to feel God's love, it actually makes other people jealous. We all want to know God loves us, and I am so thankful that you are putting in the time and effort it takes to know Him personally! As Melinda pointed out, God has granted us freedom so that we can fully express our love for Christ. And I agree with Cindy that my enthusiasm for Jesus ought to show all over my face everywhere I go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you girls for the encouragement!!! I guess there are times when we really do need to hear from somebody else, that they have the same struggles or that they just really don't care about the silly things.....and it is hard to believe that people can like you for who you are :0) Satan will attack whenever he can!

    You girls are an answer to my prayer and I love how each of you are not afraid to share your love of Jesus with anyone, you are Godly examples and I admire each of you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, girls, I feel like I'm reading a great love story!!! Who is this man these women are all after? JESUS!!! How amazing!

    God has taken me elsewhere in the Bible, so I've gotten off track from this Bible Study. However, in the midst of me beating myself up for not reading enough of the Bible, or for not reading the Bible enough, God stopped me and said, "YOU are in MY Word, THAT is enough!" I get on a treadmill sometimes of never being able to attain this expectation that continues to get higher and higher. I needed God to put an end to that for me!

    Anyway, I'm sort of reading a combination of devotions, BUT the amazing part is that for the past week or so, these completely different sources have all had basically the same message!! Isn't that a coincidence??!!
    ;-) Just kidding.

    I want to step out and ask for prayer. I decided last week (hmmm, maybe Satan helped me decide) that I will never forgive myself for some terrible choices I made years ago. While I have asked for God's forgiveness, I am quite sure I'm not accepting it. I know this is a great place for Satan to keep me, so I don't want to stay here. But, I'm also not sure how to let myself off the hook.

    Thank you girls!!!

    ReplyDelete