Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Psalms 1, 8, 19, 23, 51, 100, 103, 139

My original plan was to blog the first four psalms on the list and then do the others on another day. Well, it has been so long since I have been able to blog, that I am going to have to cover them all at once.

I hope you have enjoyed spending time with David as he worshiped God. I know I have. The Psalms are where I gravitate to whenever I don't have a structured reading plan. Typically they speak to me in whatever life circumstances I find myself.

In this blog, I will comment on my favorite verse from each of the eight Psalms listed in the title. I hope you will comment on your favorite verses in response!

Psalm 1--When I was in high school, one of my Bible study leaders taught us a chorus for this psalm. We learned it in the King James Version; so that's how I know it best. Did you notice that this psalm is divided into two parts--the blessed man and the wicked man? I want to be the blessed man! How do I do that?
  1. Do not seek counsel from ungodly people.
  2. Do not align yourself with sinners.
  3. Do not become one who mocks and ridicules God and His people.
  4. Delight in God's law.
  5. Think about God's Word day and night.

My favorite phrase from Psalm 1 is at the end of verse 3, "Whatever he does prospers." That is my prayer for me, for my family, and for you my Christian sisters.

Psalm 8--Lots of songs have been written using words from this psalm. Verse 1 is my favorite, "O LORD, our Lord, how majestics is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens." I most identify with verse 4, "What is man that you are mindful of him?"

Psalm 19--This psalm echoes the ideas from Psalm 8. "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands." (v. 1) I love how David personifies the heavens and skies by saying "they pour forth speech." Did you notice in verses 3 & 4 that the skies speak to people in every language in every part of the earth? Fabulous! Psalm 19:14 should be our daily prayer, "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Psalm 23--Do you have this psalm memorized? If not, start hiding it in your heart today. This is the most well-known psalm, and it brings true comfort to many people. Commit it to memory and then ask God to allow you to speak it to someone who needs to know His peace. My favorite is verse 2, "He makes me to lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters."

Psalm 51--This has long been one of my favorite psalms. When I was in high school, our youth group performed a musical, and the narrator read this psalm in his deep, booming voice. Reading it takes me back. This psalm was written by David as a plea for forgiveness after he had committed adultery and murder. I am so thankful that God is able to forgive all even when we feel unforgiveable.

The verse that speaks the most to me is verse 12, "Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me." I like the fact that David does not ask for restoration solely for himself. Verse 13 goes on to say, "Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you." David asked God to restore him so that he in turn could encourage others to reconcile themselves to God. I believe God answers unselfish prayers such as this. May we all get to the mature point in our lives where we can ask God to act on our behalf so that we can bless others.

Psalm 100--Verse 5, "For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations." I so want the generations that follow me to know the faithfulness of my LORD!!!

Psalm 103--This psalm is packed with good stuff! I hope some of you will comment on the numerous ways God has shown you his compassion. Verse 17 stands out to me, especially in relation to my favorite verse from Psalm 100. "But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children." I am so tremendously thankful for the Christian heritage passed down to me from my parents and grandparents. I want to continue that tradition and instill a love for Jesus in my own children. I realize that too often I am either too busy or too lazy to speak about God's love to my children. God forgive me! I also assume that my children know how to study their Bibles. I was reminded this morning that if I am not training my children in regular Bible study, then no one else will train them for me.

Psalm 139--Again, a psalm loaded with God's goodness. We cannot get away from God's love. He is everywhere we go if we will only recognize him wooing us into his arms. He knows us better than anyone else does, and yet he longs to be with us. "Search me, O God, and know myheart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (v. 23-24).

3 comments:

  1. I also love the Psalms and tend to go there or Proverbs when I don't have a Bible reading plan that I am following.

    In Chapter 1 the end of v. 2 ...he meditates day and night. I need to be kindling my relationship with Jesus day and night, not just during my quiet time or during a time of need.

    Chapter 8 v. 3 When I consider your heavers, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place. Wow, what an awesome God that he even gave us such beauty to behold in the night sky.

    Chapter 19 v. 12 Who can discern his errors? Forgive my hidden faults. It is easy to point fingers at things we see in eachother but Lord what lingers in me below the surface. What do I try to hide from myself but most of all you. In verse 6 it is talking about the sun, It rises at one end of the heavens and makes it circuit to the other; nothing is hidden from its heat. Just as nothing is hidden from the Son.

    Chapter 23 is so special to me. As a teenager I went to visit my grandfather because he had several heartaches and was not expected to live very long. During the visit he gave me a little New Testament that was his as a child and he shared with me his love of Psalm 23. Years later when he was really coming to the end of his life, my mother went to his bed side and she called me and said that she didn't know what to do or say. I asked her to find a Bible and read Psalm 23 to him. The end of verse 6 brings me great comfort. I will dwell in the house of the Lord, forever!

    Psalm 51:16-17 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

    Psalm 100:3 Know that the Lord is God. I know that I know that I know only the Lord is God!

    Psalm 103:11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him. He implores me over and over throughout scripture to seek him, he loves me and wants to share a deep committed relationship with me. I need to remember He is the Lord, He made me,and He loves me!

    Psalm 139 - I read this one over and over yesterday and then went to youth group last night and guess what? It was our main scripture passage! This is a great one! I love being reminded that God knew me before I was even forming in my mother's womb. Knowing that he sees me and knows my every thought, action and even word before they fall off my tongue, it just amazes me. But v 17-18 just get me. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you. God has all of this going on but I open my eyes in the morning and he is right there with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant heart attacks, not heartaches. oops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love the Psalms and turn to them often. The beauty of them always inspires me. I love Psalms 139 and all its reminders of how well God knows us and everything about us. He even knows our thoughts before we do. As hard as it is for us to control our actions and words, we also need to control our thoughts. Thankfully God is always there to help up in controlling our human faults. I know exactly how David was feeling in verse 6 of Psalms 139. "Your knowledge is amazing to me; it is more than I can understand." I have felt that way over and over again, the more I study and learn about God the more I feel that way.

    ReplyDelete