Tuesday, August 12, 2008

1 Chronicles 21-22

The Bible calls David "a man after God's own heart." (Acts 13:22) So, how did he screw up so many times? I think his life proves that no one except Christ was capable of living a sinless life. It also proves that the only perfect King is Christ Jesus. David really was a successful ruler who conquered surrounding nations and established a kingdom for Israel. Yet, the things we remember him most for are his weaknesses. Unfortunately, this is true of most leaders. While they may have accomplished much, they typically exit their roles on a down note. It should certainly keep us humble!

The following is a quote from Matthew Henry's commentary found at http://biblecommenter.com/1_chronicles/21-1.htm. "Now, when Satan meant to do Israel a mischief, what course did he take? He did not move God against them to destroy them (as Job, ch 2:3), but he provoked David, the best friend they had, to number them, and so to offend God, and set him against them. Note, 1. The devil does us more mischief by tempting us to sin against our God than he does by accusing us before our God. He destroys none but by their own hands, 2. The greatest spite he can do to the church of God is to tempt the rulers of the church to pride; for none can conceive the fatal consequences of that sin in all, especially in church-rulers."

So, after David's sin of pride in numbering the people, they suffer a plague and 70000 people died. To stop the angel of terror, David purchased a threshing floor where he could offer sacrifices. When the man tried to give the property to David, he replied, “No, but I will surely buy it for the full price; for I will not take what is yours for the LORD, or offer a burnt offering which costs me nothing.” (1 Chronicles 21:24) What have I sacrificed for God lately?

1 Chronicles 22 describes how David orchestrated the details so that his dream of building a temple for God would be accomplished by his son Solomon. Quite often God gives us a vision of what He wants to accomplish, but it is our duty to pass the vision on to the generation that follows us. When we take on a ministry, we should always be mentoring someone else to take on the task when we can no longer carry it out. If we are the only ones with the vision, then it will die with us. If we successfully pass the vision on to someone else, it will live on when we are gone. What legacy am I leaving for those who follow me?

Did you notice in verses 9 & 18 that Solomon's kingdom is described as one of peace and rest? Remember that Solomon means peace. I think that's cool.

I really wanted to blog 1 Chronicles 28-29 today, but the moving company is coming to pack boxes in a couple of hours; so I guess I better get ready. Pray for me, and I will pray for you today, okay!! If my computer doesn't get packed, I'll see you tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. what is it with man ( and woman for that matter) and pride. We would all be so much better off if we would realize, remember and accept that we are nothing without God, and we would have nothing without God.
    Dear God, please help me remain humble and remember that all my blessings come from you. I thank you for all your blessings and ask you to continue to bless me and my family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What hit me most about these passages is "Satan rose up against Israel and incited David..." Ouch! I don't think we always remember just how much control we allow Satan to have or that he can have. I think we sometimes don't think Satan is capable of all the things he is capable of doing to us. But the great news is that we have a way to stand up to him- God! I have really been saying this week, "Get behind me Satan, you cannot have control over me or my children, so give it up. We belong to the Lord, in Jesus Name!!!" I think it's a good reminder to us that even David, after God's own heart, was able to be tempted by Satan. We NEED to stand firm against Satan's attacks on us!! I'm such a good preacher at what we need or should be doing, but do I listen to my preaching?? Hmmm, I'd better start!! On that same note, though, I get so buried by having to fight against him that some days I just give up. But I guess it's during that time that the Lord picks me up and carries me, like in the Footprints poem. I have always loved that poem. Thank you, Lord, for your provision in my life, your ability to care me in times that I just can't do it anymore, for protecting me, for giving me strength to go on when I can't, and loving me with such unconditional love even though I don't deserve it. Help me to stand firm against Satan's trials and temptations with Your strength! Praise be to You, Father!!! Amen

    ReplyDelete
  3. David is a hero of the Bible and Satan rose up against even him. As a child I learned about all of the great things David did through the Lord's working but even he struggled and stumbled. I have had a hard week and Satan knows that and wants so bad to get his wedge in there and start working away. Like you said Melissa, I need to stand firm and do not let Satan have a chance.

    ReplyDelete