Friday, August 22, 2008

1 Kings 3, 6-7

When you hear the name of Solomon, what Bible stories come to mind? When I asked Trent this question, he said Solomon's wives, the Queen of Sheba coming to ask Solomon for wisdom, and the building of the temple. The stories in chapter 3 are what I think of, Solomon asking for wisdom and applying that wisdom when he decided whose baby was still living. King Solomon was the wisest and wealthiest man of his day, and the kingdom of Israel enjoyed peace and prosperity during his reign.

1 Kings 3--Okay, if God asked you what you wanted from him, would you ask for wisdom or wealth? I'm thinking Solomon was already a wise man since he knew how to respond to God's question. It makes me wonder if Solomon's father David had trained him how to pray. David had set an example for his son in praying unselfish prayers, prayers that would benefit others more than himself, prayers that would bring glory to God. Solomon recognized that the people belonged to God, and he wanted God's wisdom to be able to govern them. So God not only granted Solomon's request, but also gave him great riches and honor. Wow! What a blessing.

Verse 15 makes me ponder--Solomon realized he was dreaming. I don't know about you, but I have never had an intelligent conversation in my dreams. When I do remember my dreams, they are so disjointed and weird that it is hard to make any sense of them. A couple of nights ago, I dreamt that a former colleague of mine was eating a hamburger at a retirement party for a junior college president. Ummm.... Okay.... It would seem sacrilegious for me to try to discern a word from God out of that dream. I did pray for my former coworker though. Middle Eastern cultures, however, put much more stock in their dreams than we westerners do. In fact, some missionary friends of mine ask for special prayer during the Holy Days where they serve. They pray that Jesus will show himself in visions to the people there during their days of fasting and prayer.

The remainder of Chapter 3 is a terrific story demonstrating the wisdom God gave to Solomon. I love his creative problem solving! Verse 28 tells us the people were in awe of their king, and they recognized the wonderful gift God had given him.

1 Kings 6--Wow! Look at all the details! Once again I am thankful that God enjoys details as much as I do. Did I ever tell you that details are my love language? If Trent will come home after work and tell me all about what he did that day, I feel very loved. Reading this chapter makes me think of Melissa's question about why David listed all the items that were offered for the temple. Solomon's temple was one of the wonders of the ancient world, and it took them seven years to build (v. 38), and it was built in silence (v. 7). I think it is significant that so much was recorded about the structure of the temple. When we take on a task for God's glory, we should perform the task with excellence. Our completed project should leave people in awe of the amazing God we serve.

1 Kings 7--Solomon took 13 years to build his own palace. I don't really know what to say about that. The first verse of Chapter 3 mentioned that Solomon built his palace, the temple, and the wall of Jerusalem. 1 Kings 9:10 says it took 20 years to build the temple and the palace. Then 9:24 says Solomon's wife didn't come to Jerusalem until the palace was built. What do you think about that, girls? Do you think you could live with your mama until your husband finished building your house? Maybe it took Solomon 20 years to finish the construction projects because he was so distracted with accumulating his harem (1 Kings 11). His palace had to be humongous to house that many women! That makes you question his wisdom, doesn't it?

The rest of 1 Kings 7 describes all the furnishings created to be used in the temple worship. Again, the details are overwhelming. Do I take my worship of the One True Living God that seriously???

7 comments:

  1. Speaking of dreams, I just received the following in a newsletter from gowestafrica.org

    When the Ground Breaks

    I suppose this is what it looks like when the ground breaks. After years of sowing seeds and watering, something remarkable is beginning to take place among the Wassulu in Mali.

    Twenty-four years ago our friend Moses was the first Wassulu in his area of Mali to become a Christian. His village and family felt so much shame that they tried to kill him for 20 years. He finally fled to the United States. Since my wife Nichole and I moved to New York City and met Moses, we have been praying with him that a church would be established in his village. Recently, members from an Engaging Church* in Georgia, along with Malian believers, went to Moses' village and shared a Gospel video presentation. Later, Nichole and I, along with a Malian missionary and another Wassulu believer, shared the Gospel with approximately 125 people in Moses' village. Another team from Georgia, along with Malian believers, returned to the area for follow-up. In short, 24 years of perseverance have culminated in at least four new believers in this village that has been hostile to the Gospel for so long. Among these new believers are Moses' own brother and cousin. Pray that a church will be established in this village and that these new believers will grow strong and confident in their faith.

    The Georgia team also reported that 36 people attended intense discipleship meetings in the Wassulu village where I used to live. Pray for the village chief and others who believe that the "Jesus path" is the true way, but are afraid of persecution from others. Pray that a church planting movement will start in this village and spread throughout the Wassulu.

    Paul,** a man who attended the discipleship meeting, insisted that the Georgia team visit his village nearby. Upon arrival, they were greeted by an 81-year-old man (the oldest man in his village) that Paul** had visited occasionally. The man said, "Just last night I had a dream that four white people were going to visit me. I heard the phrase 'What was lost is now found.' Can you explain the meaning of this to me?" Our team member Jerry shared the story of the prodigal son, and the man was elated when he heard the words, "What was lost is now found." "It is just like my dream," the man said, and he announced that he wanted to follow Christ that day! Pray that God will continue to work among the Wassulu, revealing His power and His desire for them to "be found."

    Events like these continue to affirm that our presence in New York is opening up new doors in West Africa.

    Chris Clayman
    (Chris and Nichole Clayman are Church Planting Catalysts with the North American Mission Board in New York City. Chris is a former IMB journeyman to Mali.)


    *An Engaging Church is committed to evangelism, discipleship, and church planting among a people group with little or no access to the Gospel.

    **Name changed for security reasons

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this passage yet but I always think of Solomon's wisdom when I hear his name. To be wise like that would be something!! Colossians 1:9 talks about praying for wisdom and your comments reminded me of that. I was moved by the story you printed here. What a mighty God we serve! I hope your furniture has arrived and that you are getting settled in. Got Christopher moved in and he is keeping things up to date. Check his site out at www.straightouttadallas.blogspot.com. Will get back to blogging soon I hope! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, our moving van did not arrive as planned. Hopefully it will come Monday. So we are taking a couple of days to be at Trent's parents' home in East Texas. Both our kids had a good first week at their new school. Other than not having our "stuff," things have gone rather smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think of the times that I am doing a project and wake in the night with details on my mind. I wonder if Solomon was up as much, maybe more?

    What a wise man to ask God for discernment. We look to people who are considered experts, but if we took the time to ask God for discernment, he would show us what we need to know and in great detail. I am not saying that we don't need people gifted in certain areas, those gifts are from God and should be used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are absolutely right, Melinda! How much smoother our lives would be if we checked in with God before calling others for advice. Who is the first person you typically call when you have a dilemma? Your mom? Your husband? Your best girlfriend? While these people certainly love you and want what's best for you, not one of them can say beyond a shadow of a doubt what is the very best for you. Only God can do that. Call on Him first when you need wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that wisdom is a wonderful gift to have. I have struggled with what to do with my son for quite some time. ( to send him to public school or to keep him home) I had been in prayer about it for quite some time, but it seemed that I was getting conflicting answers ( I sincerely believe that satan was trying to mess up the works). I had finally decided that I was going to take him to public school today ( I spent a mostly sleepless night). This morning I said a quick prayer and was out the door. The minute I walked into the school, I felt that I was doing the wrong thing. Then I walked into the quidance counselors room and was immediately creeped out and totally uncomfortable. (The room was very dark and dim, there was a strange smell, and all over the walls were harry potter posters and the books were everywhere.) I turned around and walked out of the school, and realized that God set me on the path to homeschooling years ago, and just because the going got tough did not give me His leave to quit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Striving to be like Jesus,

    I homeschool and will be praying for your guidance and wisdom during this time of making the decision. I will be honest that it is not easy but I am certain without a doubt that God wanted us to homeschool. I don't know if we will always homeschool, that is up to God and we take it a day at a time and each year we will seek the Lord for His plan. I don't know how we can get in contact with eachother but I would love to talk with you.Maybe Dana can help get us connected?

    ReplyDelete