Thursday, July 31, 2008

2 Samuel 5

Just in case you thought David had an easy time setting up his kingdom, take a second to skim the first four chapters of 2 Samuel. David was a warrior king right from the beginning.

As I read about David establishing his kingdom first in Judah at Hebron and then over all Israel at Jerusalem, it made me wonder where Saul's palace was. I found references to several Benjamite towns, especially to Gibeah, Mizpah, Micmash, and the hill country of Bethel. Gilgal was also mentioned several times. It is in the territory of Manasseh, just north of the Benjamite city of Jericho. So, it makes me wonder if Saul ever really established a central headquarters for his kingdom. It sheds some light on the instability of his reign. As I was researching, I found an interesting link http://www.northforest.org/BiblicalArchaeology/background.html. When you click the link for Saul on the left-hand side of the page, it mentions the Amarna Letters, artifacts that give credence to the biblical account of history. I think it is fun to discover evidence that proves the Bible is true. There is a lot of info on this site that I did not explore; so don't assume that I agree with everything the author has to say, okay. Interesting reading, however.

2 Samuel 5:10 reminds us why David was successful, "because the LORD God Almighty was with him." Verse 12 is one of my favorite verses, "And David knew that the LORD had established him as king over Israel and had exalted his kingdom for the sake of his people Israel." [emphasis mine] David knew it wasn't about his own personal glory. He was called to be king for the people's sake. I love that! Often we are placed in positions of authority, not because of how it can benefit us, but because we can help promote the welfare of others. Have you looked at your job in that light today? Stop the "poor me" attitude, and start looking for ways you can bless others. Ouch.

2 Samuel 5:13 describes the source of David's ruin. His wives, concubines, and children would become a major source of distraction and discontent in his life. He also set a poor example for his son Solomon, who would become the next ruler of Israel. According to Deuteronomy 17, having many wives was against the rules for the king too. Did you know that God included rules for how the king should live when He gave the law to Moses? He knew all along that Israel would ask for a king. Nothing takes Him by surprise!

In the remainder of the chapter, David inquires of the LORD, and God gives him the plan of attack against the Philistines. I think it is terrific that David can talk directly to God. He does not consult a priest. I also think it is terrific that God responds directly to David. LORD, help me to listen to Your voice today. I want to hear You plainly. Please forgive me for trying to tell You what the plan should be.

Okay, I hope I have given you enough to ponder today. We'll check on David again next time in 2 Samuel 6-8.

1 comment:

  1. I am also so thankful that I can go directly to the Lord with anything. I don't need anyone or anything else to get me in to the Lord's presence. I just have to go there, myself.

    Lord, it is a choice that I have to make. Help me to stay in your presence today.

    ReplyDelete