Monday, July 14, 2008

Ruth 1-4

I love the story of Ruth. It is a love story replete with a knight in shining armor who rescues the princess.

Did you notice the date of the book in Ruth 1:1? "In the days when the judges ruled . . . ."

Ruth 1:6 "When Naomi heard in Moab . . . ." I have to wonder how Naomi heard. Was there a daily newspaper from across the Dead Sea? How often did the caravans travel from Bethlehem to Moab?

Ruth 1:16 But Ruth replied, "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me." These verses are used often at weddings. Did you know that it was Ruth who said them to her mother-in-law? I think all of us should aspire to show love and kindness and loyalty to our moms-in-law as Ruth did. My mom-in-law makes this an easy thing to do, but I'm not as kind and thoughtful as Ruth was. I think her story inspires me to try a lot harder.

Ruth 1:20 "Don't call me Naomi, [b] " she told them. "Call me Mara, [c] because the Almighty [d] has made my life very bitter. 21 I went away full, but the LORD has brought me back empty. Why call me Naomi? The LORD has afflicted [e] me; the Almighty has brought misfortune upon me." Naomi had a very difficult time understanding why God would put her in such a predicament. Can anyone relate? Naomi was suffering consequences of her husband's decision to take their family far from the Promised Land. Seemingly, Naomi had no control over the circumstances she found herself in. In the midst of her sorrow, it was impossible for Naomi to foresee the blessings God would bring through her Moabite daughter-in-law. Was it God's will for Naomi's husband to die? I don't know. Was it God's will for Naomi's sons to marry foreign wives and then die as young men? I have no idea. Was God able to turn disappointments into something wonderful, and was God's plan for His chosen people fulfilled? Absolutely.

In Ruth 2:5 Boaz asks, "Whose young woman is that?" Then in verse 11, Boaz says, "I've been told all about what you have done." This makes me giggle! Boaz was curious enough to check Ruth out! Okay, take time to remember how you went about finding out the scoop on your true love. Makes me blush. ;-)

Ruth 2:12 "May the LORD repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge." Ruth 3:11 "And now, my daughter, don't be afraid. I will do for you all you ask. All my fellow townsmen know that you are a woman of noble character." Ruth's reputation was getting all over town, and it was good news! Are people talking about what I do for others? Is it good news? Am I known around town as a woman of noble character? I most definitely hope so. While we are not called to be in a popularity contest, we are called to bring glory and good repute to the Name of Christ. Am I doing all within my power to make that happen?

We read the law about kinsman-redeemers in Leviticus 25. Since Naomi's husband and sons were no longer living, her closest of kin had to buy her land so that it could stay in the family. I like what she says about Boaz in Ruth 3:15, "For the man will not rest until the matter is settled today." He was a man of action. I like that! I laughed at the way Boaz talked his relative out of purchasing the land too. In 4:1, Boaz calls the man "my friend." Then in verse 5, Boaz convinces the guy that he doesn't want to marry the dead man's widow, implying that he would be marrying an old woman, Naomi. After he gets the man to swear that he doesn't want the land before several witnesses, then Boaz declares his intentions to marry Ruth. Tricky guy!

The elders and witnesses become prophets when they wish Boaz fame in 4:11. Their blessing in Ruth 4:12 is very fitting. "Through the offspring the LORD gives you by this young woman, may your family be like that of Perez, whom Tamar bore to Judah." Tamar and Ruth are both mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus in Matthew 1. Rahab and Bathsheba are the only other women mentioned there. Rahab was Boaz's mom. Boaz married Ruth. Their great-grandson David married Bathsheba. These women were grafted into the family line of the Messiah. God's chosen people expands to include all people who choose to follow God. Hallelujah!

I certainly hope you enjoyed Ruth's story. Come with me now to the book of 1 Samuel 7-10 and 12, where we read of Israel's request for a king.

7 comments:

  1. I have been in the story of Ruth so many times in my life but through the discussion, things I have learned in a recent study and I guess life experience, this reading was really special.

    I saw the story of our redeemer shining through. It begins with a choice. Orpah chooses to leave, Ruth chooses to stay. We too have a choice to make. Ruth follows the instructions she is given to only work in Boaz's fields, just as we are instructed to work only for Christ. Ruth's light shined and others saw a wonderful work in her. She cared for the needy, her mother-in-law.

    In chapter 3:9 "Who are you?" he asked. "I am your servant Ruth," she said, "Spread the corner of your garment over me, since you are a kinsman-redeemer." Just as we are Christs servants and our redeemer covers us!

    What a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for pointing out the choices, Melinda. Boaz also mentioned that Ruth could have chosen to pursue a younger husband. Instead, she was content to follow Naomi's instructions, which landed her a spot in the lineage of the Messiah.

    God speaks of spreading the corner of his garment over Israel in Ezekiel 16:8 "Later I passed by, and when I looked at you and saw that you were old enough for love, I spread the corner of my garment over you and covered your nakedness. I gave you my solemn oath and entered into a covenant with you, declares the Sovereign LORD, and you became mine." So, I think this scene of Boaz and Ruth is the most tender and romantic part of the entire story. It should make us feel very special to realize that Jesus has spread his garment over us to claim us as His bride. I agree, Melinda, it is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, I actually had a lot to say but as I was finishing up reading, the notes in my study Bible summed it up better then I ever could have....


    To some the book of Ruth may be just another nice story about a girl who was fortunate. But in reality, the events recorded in Ruth were part of God's preperations for the births of David and Jesus. Just as Ruth was unaware of this larger purpose for her life, we will not know the full purpose and importance of our lives until we are able to look back from the perspective of eternity. Because of Ruth's faithful obedience her life and legacy were significant even though she couldn't see the results.


    We don't just have luck.... Ruth didn't just end up there to marry Boaz.... God is in control!!! Wow, how can we keep reading the same message over and over but still learn something new from it?

    Yes, ladies this is a beautiful story!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. Thanks for sharing that with us, Hilary. You are right. God is in complete control. Trent and I always look back to one little decision we made when we were first married. As we headed into Ft. Worth, we had to decide whether to turn right or left on Loop 820. Our split-second decision to turn left impacted the choices we made on where to live, what jobs to take, the people we met, and the church we attended. God had it all in His plan from the beginning. The choices we make today can change our futures, and it impacts the lives of our children as well. Make a good choice to follow Christ today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilary said, "Wow, how can we keep reading the same message over and over but still learn something new from it?"

    That is absolutely one of my favorite things about God's Word! Each time I read it, God meets me right where I am, and tells me in a fresh, new way just how much He loves me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It never ceases to amaze me how God has the plan all worked out for everyone's lives. He knows where we need to be, when we need to be there, and everything. But we do have the choice to make. What gets me even more is He already knows what choice we're going to make and has that even figured out how to deal with!!! Man am I glad it is His job and not mine!! And yet we still try to make it our job instead of letting Him have ALL the control over it!! There will be lessons still to learn-- let's just keep reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i stand in awe of God and his provision for us

    ReplyDelete