Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Leviticus 1, 10-11, 12, 16, 25-26

This is a lot of reading. It took me two days; so feel free to take your time.

Leviticus 1--There are so many details! How did the priests keep all 613 laws from the Torah straight? In fact, they even added their own rules. It just proves again the futility of trying to keep the whole law based on our own righteousness. James 2:10 says that if we even break one little command, we are guilty of breaking the whole law. Isaiah 64:6 describes our righteousness as filthy rags. We cannot be righteous on our own. It is only because Christ paid the penalty for us on the cross. Have you asked Him to exchange your sinful life for His perfect life? It is available to you for the asking!

Leviticus 10--Aaron's sons take matters into their own hands because they thought they knew better than God. Hmmmm. Sounds familiar. It is shocking to me that Aaron and his family are forbidden to mourn for the rebellious sons. Again, God has extremely high expectations for the leaders of His people. Leviticus 10:10 "You must distinguish between the holy and the common, between the unclean and the clean," Holy means to be set apart. God had set apart Aaron's family for His service. They had to distinguish themselves from acting as common men. God has set apart you and me for special acts of service in His Kingdom. Are we acting like the common man who does not know God?

Leviticus 11--Dietary laws are still a big part of what it means to be Jewish today. In our day of refrigeration and food processing technology, these laws may be puzzling to us. However, God knew what would keep His chosen people healthy and what would make them sick. All of His laws were given for a purpose. I knew that pork was forbidden, but I did not realize that shellfish were also on the do-not-eat list. I'm thinking I wouldn't eat the winged insects anyway, even if they were permitted by God. At the end of this chapter, God tells His people to be holy (set apart) as He is holy. Are we willing to purify our lives of the things God tells us are unclean for us today?

Leviticus 12--This chapter is not on the original reading list, but I want you to read it anyway, and compare it with the story in Luke 2 when Mary and Joseph take Jesus to be presented at the temple as a baby. As a woman, these chapters are very interesting to me.

Leviticus 16--In verse 2, God tells Aaron that he can no longer come into the Holy of Holies whenever and however he chooses. Praise God that the sacrifice Jesus made for us opens the way for us to approach the throne boldly to find His mercy and grace (Hebrews 4:16). This chapter (especially verses 10 & 22) describes the scapegoat. Did you know this was where that term comes from? Leviticus 16:30 "Because on this day atonement will be made for you, to cleanse you. Then, before the LORD, you will be clean from all your sins." The Israelites had to go through this ceremony every year. Jesus paid for our sins once and for all! Hallelujah!

Leviticus 25--Cindy mentioned wishing that we followed the financial laws. I especially wish we still celebrated the Sabbath Year and the Jubilee. Verse 21 "I will send you such a blessing in the sixth year that the land will yield enough for three years." This chapter describes an economy that would work! Why was it never strictly followed? Does anyone know if the Jews ever actually celebrated a Jubilee year? I looked for info but didn't find any.

Leviticus 26--Rewards for obedience, Punishment for disobedience. Trent and I enjoyed a Colorado Renewal Conference in Denver this week. The theme was to encourage pastors to take a stand on political issues that affect our freedoms. We heard several speakers on the history of the American Revolution. The first part of this chapter sounds much like the blessing God has bestowed on our nation. Colorado Renewal was a tremendous reminder that our freedoms will be lost if we do not stand for biblical truths. Verses 40 & 42 "If they will confess their sins . . . I will remember my covenant." In verses 44-45, I am impressed to recognize that God already knew His people would rebel, and He had already made provision for their redemption.

Our next reading will be Numbers 3-4, 6, 23-24, but take your time here if needed. Don't feel like you need to rush.

8 comments:

  1. I was so moved by the steps taken in Leviticus 1 for the sacrifice. The offerings were not just killed and burned, they were cut up and the insides washed out or the bird was broken. I think of Jesus...He didn't just get put on the cross to die like a common criminal. He was beaten and broken (I can't even come up with strong enough words). He could have said, enough and came down from the cross but He stayed and beared it all for me and you. At the end of Leviticus 1 it says that it is an offering made by fire, an aroma pleasing to the LORD. When we come to the LORD we are typically beaten down and broken. We turn to the LORD and give our lives to the LORD (an offering) and we usually start out very on fire for the LORD and it is a pleasing aroma to Him.

    Dear LORD, help me to be a pleasing aroma to you, on fire for only you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For fun last night I asked my husband and oldest son to read Lev. 1 and jot down what they gleaned from the scriptures. They did and I will have to share some thoughts with you from them when I get their notes later tonight. It has been a long time since I have been excited about studying the bible on its own like this. The Holy Spirit convicted me the first of this year about my relying on others to teach me instead of me searching out the scriptures. It has been a sweet time for me with the Word and it enhances my other bible study tremendously. Thank you Lord for prompting me to study on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, some of my post today is going to be make up from the days that I missed. I really wanted to share what spoke to me.

    Going back to Exodus 12:29 - It always amazes me that it says that God made the Egyptians give the Israelites whatever they wanted.
    They gave them all their gold. They had gold for the golden calf, and also for the covering of the tabernacle holy things. Where did they get gold in the desert??

    Like Melinda, I am also moved about the steps that they had to take for the sacrifices. It mentions also in Lev. 6, tells about the daily sacrifices. Which requires 2 lambs. They would sacrifice one every morning and every evening!!! I do not know how they did it?? Sometimes we complain of dishpan hands, just think about what the priests got to deal with!!!!????
    I think of Jesus too Melissa, and How much He showed Us His love when we certainly do no deserve it!

    Lev.11 - I did an indepth Bible Study on the History of the Bible and I found alot of interesting facts. Have you ever wondered why God gave the instructions that He gave about the Israelites health and welfare? I think that like say, the Pigs. They probably could not cook it well enough to not make them sick?? You think? Something I have thought about.
    You know later in the 1500;s when the fevers and plagues were going around? The priests finally took over and used God's laws that were originally written and resolved alot of these sicknesses. It had to do with hygene alot. That really lets you realize just how much God cares for ALL of our everyday needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melinda, thank you for this insight. Fabulous!

    Cindy, thank you for challenging others to read the Word with you. It has been so fun these past couple of weeks to ask people what they have been studying in the Bible. When they say not much, they get an invitation from me to join our blog. Amy and I were just talking yesterday morning about how exciting it is just to be reading the Bible and get so much from it. God's Spirit is talking to us and through us. Awesome!

    Amen, Karen, to all that you wrote. It thrills me that God is such a detail Man! Details are what I worry and fret over the most, and it brings peace to my soul to know that God has it all covered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these passages had so much information in them. What struck out at me was Lev. 25 and 26 how God was very clear about what He was going to do if they didn't obey Him and He even went on to say what He would do if they did obey. And that same thing still applies to us now. He's clear about what will happen if we obey or disobey, and yet I still sometimes don't get it and go off on my own way. Even when we know what the consequences are going to be for not obeying, we still get off track. We are all born with that sinful nature and the only way to not continue in that way is following God. Just like a child, we don't have to teach them to do wrong, that comes natural. It's the right we have to teach them. God had to teach them the right way, just like he's trying to teach us the right way to live. I'm very thankful that we don't still have to sacrifice animals for our sins. And I'm also very thankful that Jesus made a way for me. Please help me, Lord, to continue in your way and not my own. Help me to tell others about you in a way that will help them see that your way is the only way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talk about rewards for obedience and punishment for disobedience! Just wait until you read Deuteronomy 28 and following. I agree with your insight. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW reading about all the rules and sacrifices they had to follow and give makes me even more grateful for Jesus sacrifice. I am so thankful that I don't have to sacrifice animals for my sins or to be made clean. I got so caught up in my reading that I ended up reading most of Leviticus. Today when we are experiencing that time of the month, even though it is inconvenient, it is nothing compared to what women had to go through back in the old testament. I shared it with my daughter, and she was appalled with the idea of not being able to even hug your parents because it was that time. it led to a good discussion between us. Can anyone tell me (my daughter an I were both wondering) what is the big deal with the evening. Is there a special significance that goes with being unclean till evening. Leviticus 15

    ReplyDelete
  8. The following is a quote from Judaism 101 at http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday0.htm#Begin This website gives terrific information about what it means to be Jewish today.

    When Holidays Begin
    All Jewish holidays begin the evening before the date specified on most calendars. This is because a Jewish "day" begins and ends at sunset, rather than at midnight. If you read the story of creation in Genesis Ch. 1, you will notice that it says, "And there was evening, and there was morning, one day." From this, we infer that a day begins with evening, that is, sunset. Holidays end at nightfall of the date specified on most calendars; that is, at the time when it becomes dark out, about an hour after sunset.

    ReplyDelete