Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Joshua 4-6, 23-24

The twelve stones the men took out of the middle of the river probably were not little, and Joshua did not simply pile them up in a mound. They were big and noticeable to anyone who passed by the memorial. It was not just a little pile of rocks. It is interesting that Joshua 4:6-7 and 4:21-23 are so similar. Why is it repeated within the same chapter? I think that it must be of extreme importance to memorialize what God has done for us. Do we do that? Do my children ever ask me, "What do these stones mean?" Is there anything in my home that makes my children curious about my history with Jesus? In our culture, we are always longing for the future, and we rarely take time to reflect on the past. Are there stories you need to tell your children so that they will be able to carry on the Christian heritage you wish to pass on to them?

Joshua 4:24 "He did this so that all the peoples of the earth might know that the hand of the LORD is powerful and so that you might always fear the LORD your God." God works in our lives, not just for our benefit, but so that all the people of the earth might know the He is powerful!

Joshua 5:1 News of the Jordan crossing spreads through the land. God is already winning the battle for Israel.

Joshua 5:10-12 The people cross the Jordan, they celebrate the Passover, and then the manna stops, and they get to eat the fruit of the Promised Land. Cool!

Joshua 5:13-6:5 Okay, I wish I could have the entire video of this scene. Do you think Joshua listened to the plan, said that sounds good, and then told it to the people? Come on, no questions, Joshua? Oh, that I could have the faith to follow what sounds like a crazy plan when I know it has come from the mouth of the LORD.

Joshua 6:10 This verse is proof that there were no women in Israel's army!

Joshua 6:16 "Shout! For the LORD has given you the city!" When the walls crumbled, the Israelites destroyed everything in Jericho. Only Rahab and her family were saved. God was with Joshua, and his fame spread throughout the land.

Joshua 23 & 24 is Joshua's farewell address to Israel. At the conclusion of my life, I want to say with confidence as Joshua did that I have seen every promise from God fulfilled in my life (v 14). While I know God will definitely be faithful, sometimes I am not. Sometimes I miss the blessings God has for me because I take a path to the left or the right.

Chapter 24 is a recounting of Israel's entire history. It is a summation of everything you and I have studied thus far. If you find anything that makes you curious in this chapter, go back and read more about it from Genesis through Deuteronomy. For example, the story about Balaam can be found in Numbers 22-24. It has always been one of my favorites.

Joshua 24:13 Israel gets to enjoy the fruit of someone else's labor. Rarely do we get to enjoy something for nothing. When we do, we should recognize it as provision from God.

Joshua 24:15 "But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." I can echo Joshua's statement. Our family has chosen to serve the LORD. Will you join us? If you have not chosen to follow Christ wholeheartedly, will you choose today? It's a great adventure!

Joshua 24:19-27 When the people say they want to follow God, Joshua argues with them about their commitment and makes them swear on it and draw up a covenant and set up a memorial as a reminder. I'm thinking he had lived with these people long enough to know how fickle they could be.

Joshua 24:31 "Israel served the LORD throughout the lifetime of Joshua and of the elders who outlived him and who had experienced everything the LORD had done for Israel." What a tremendous testimony to Joshua's leadership.

Verse 33 I didn't realize that Aaron's son Eleazar got to come into the Promised Land with Joshua and Caleb. His descendants were given the hill country of Ephraim. That's where the prophet Samuel's family is from. Cool connection, huh.

Are ya keepin' up? Are ya still with me? We go to Judges 1-4 and 13-16 next. Judges contains some amazing stories; probably some you may have heard as a child in Sunday school.

2 comments:

  1. In my margin next to chapter 4 I wrote to pass it on. I have dishes, dolls, and lamps from my great grandmother to pass on to my daugthers but what is there from my Christian heritage? What a challenge! I feel like there should be something tangible like the rocks, but what?

    In chapter 5:13-15 The commander of the Lord's army is with Joshua. Joshua fell face down in reverence to the Lord and it is established that they are on holy ground. There wasn't enough about the encounter, I wanted to know more.

    In the last two chapters, I love how Joshua keeps reminding them that it is not them or their power that got them where they are, it is only because of the Lord and they are to continue to hold fast to the Lord and choose who they will serve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love how the walls of Jericho fall, but the house where Rahab lived with her family (in the wall) still stood. I wish I could see what that looked like!!!! Isn't God amazing. The more I study his word the more amazed I am with him and the wonderous things he does.

    ReplyDelete