Saturday, August 22, 2009

John 15-17

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5) Jesus is the faithful one in our relationship. He remains in me no matter the circumstance. I am the one who finds myself in and out of Christ. Remaining in relationship with Jesus takes effort on my part. It requires that I read my Bible, memorize it, talk about it with others, live by it. Staying connected to God is directly related to my consistency in prayer and quiet time with Him. And my fruit bearing is directly related to my consistency in remaining in direct contact with Jesus, the living vine. Have you born any fruit lately?

Jesus chose us for the purpose of bringing glory to the Father. We do that by loving Him, obeying Him, and bearing fruit in Him. We bear fruit for Christ when we produce things in our lives that are like Christ. A pear tree bears pears. A pecan tree bears pecans. A Christian bears Christians. I know the joy of holding someone's hand as they receive Christ into their lives. Do you? It is a thrill I cannot describe to you unless you have been there! If you are unsure about your own salvation, will you please ask me about how to know for certain you will spend eternity with Jesus? If it has been awhile since you shared your faith with someone to receive Christ, will you let me know so I can help and encourage and pray with you?

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other." (John 15:16-17) [I just had a wonderful flashback to when my children were ages 3 and 1. They would wrap one another in a bear hug, and Zach would say, "Cuz we love you-ch other!"] Obey Christ's command to love your fellow Christians. Then you will be able to walk together in unity as you bear the fruit of bringing others into relationship with God. My friends, it doesn't get any better than that!!!

My daughter was really moved this week by Jesus' words in John 15:18 through 16:4. In this life, we should expect persecution, even anticipate it. Enduring persecution for the Name of Jesus is another identifying mark of a true disciple. Are you following in the footsteps of Jesus? Are you doing exactly what He whispers in your ear? Then do not be shocked when the enemy attacks. Stand firm. Stand proud to be a spokesman for your Lord.

John 16:5-16 should bring warmth and comfort to your soul. Jesus has not left us without a Counselor. He has given us His Holy Spirit, the Spirit of truth to convict us yes, but also to guide us, to speak God's Word to us, to reveal the very presence of God to us, and to give us the spiritual eyes to see God's activity. Do you see God at work daily? Are you looking for Him in anticipation? Then He will show up to you!

Remain in the vine. Stay connected to God. Be filled with the Spirit. We are gonna see my Jesus face to face, soon and very soon!

Will you complete today's reading with John 17:20-26? This is Jesus' prayer for you and for me, dear sister. He wants us to be in Him. He wants you and me to walk together in unity. I wanna see His GLORY!!! Will you join me?

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this. I will try to keep it up. I very rarily get on the computer these days. I hope to keep this up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda! Welcome to the blog. It's lots of fun for me when girls like you join in the conversation! It spurs me on and helps me stay consistent in my blog posting. It keeps me accountable in my walk with God too, and we can all use encouragement in that department, don't ya think?

    Love ya!
    D

    ReplyDelete