Monday, August 3, 2009

Matthew 17-18

It’s been said “A Bible that is falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn’t.” I read this quote on Greg Laurie's blog. What do you think about it?

Matthew 17:1-13--Describe your most recent mountain top experience for us. Mine was seeing 12 children pray to choose Jesus as their Savior at Bible school!

Matthew 17:14-23--Two things I never want to hear Jesus say to me, "How long shall I put up with you?" and "You have so little faith." Jesus, I want to please you! Help me not to frustrate you!

Matthew 17:24-27--What a fun reminder that God is able to supply my every need!!! (You are reading the Scriptures and not just my lame commentary, right??)

Matthew 18:1-14--"Who is the greatest among us?" Who cares!!!!!!!!! That's not what it is all about! Forgive me just a moment while I rant. Why do we wear our feelings on our sleeves at church? Why do we get our feathers ruffled when someone snubs us? Why in the world do we even care if someone does or doesn't notice us at worship service? Who are we there to worship anyway? Church is NOT about us!!!! I am preaching at myself as much as anybody else. I too feel sorry for myself if so-and-so didn't welcome me with open arms at Sunday school. How frustrating we must be to our heavenly Father! (Sorry for all the exclamation points. AT LEAST I DIDN'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS!!!!)

Matthew 18:15-35--Wow! Jesus is getting nosy here, don't ya think? Have you ever been offended by someone at church? [giggle] Who hasn't been, right? How did you handle it? Did you follow the steps Jesus gives?
1. Go privately to the person.
2. Take one or two other believers with you.
3. Take it before the church.
My guess is that it is much easier to follow the steps that Satan gives.
1. Get mad.
2. Gossip.
3. Brag about how much better I am than the other person who obviously isn't even a Christian because how could she dare say anything negative about me because I am so holier than thou? Ouch.

Again, I am just as guilty as the next person in this area. I think that is why I am so frustrated when I see people at odds with one another. Satan is so sneaky, and it doesn't take much prodding from him to get us stirred up against one another. Will you covenant with me to pray that God will cultivate forgiveness in the hearts of His people? Let's promise to be forgiving toward one another. Be like a duck and let hurtful words roll off your back. When your feelings are hurt, in love, speak directly to the one who hurt you. Do not make it a church-wide issue. Nip it in the bud!!!

I love you girls! Please forgive me when I am selfish and unkind. And talk directly to me about it rather than stab me in the back.

5 comments:

  1. My most recent mountain top experience was seeing our old sanctuary packed with women last Thursday night and hearing the wonderful testimonies of four very Godly women. God has so richly blessed our church - how dare we gossip and complain! I love exclamation points too!! You are right Satan is so very sneaky. He usually goes after my mind. Sometimes I find myself thinking the most off the wall things and have to tell myself STOP IT! I love 2 Timothy 4:7 for God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and of a sound mind. So we do have a sound mind - then how do we get our thinking straightened out? By speaking the Word of God over our lives! God is so good He has provided every tool we need to be successful - we just need to learn how to use them effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Girls Nite Out is definitely on my top five list of most recent spiritual highs as well! I am so grateful for the opportunity to celebrate our spiritual heritage of faith.

    You are so right to say that the Word of God enables us to maintain control of our thoughts. Will you help me pray the following verse for the Body of Christ? Corinthians 10:5
    "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

    I so love and appreciate you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reference should be 2 Corinthians 10:5. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One time I was offended by what someone said to me. I prayed about it and went to her and talked about it. She didn't even realize what she had said. How many times has someone said something to us with totally different meanings behind it other than to offend us- Almost always! It's how we take it. Yes, we do need to let things slide off our backs like ducks. It's our choice to be offended or NOT to be. I got a wonderful devotional from a friend of mine the other day that was titled "I choose NOT to be offended." "A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense." Proverbs 19:11 (NIV)
    Here is just a little snipet from the devotional: "Now when someone speaks a hurtful word, I check it at the door of my heart. I hear the words, I recognize my issue, and I speak Truth over my heart. I literally say, "It is to my glory to not receive this as an offense." God is pleased because I honor Him with this choice. It is a win-win for everyone because I do not ruin the rest of the day by pouting and making it all about me. I do not soak in self-pity. I let the words go."

    Let the words go! I love that! It's so freeing!!! Let us all let the words go and choose NOT to be offended. It most likely wasn't meant that way. If it was, that is their issue with God, not ours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the good word, Melissa! When you sent that devotional to me, I forwarded it to several because it tagged right along with this blog post.

    God is so good to us, and He has poured out abundant blessings in our lives. Let's be loving and kind to others today and share His love and blessings.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete