Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Daniel 5

Please read the story in Daniel 5 before reading the blog.

Wake up, Belshazzar! Did you not pay attention to the stories of your ancestor Nebuchadnezzar? His life was a living testimony to the fact that God is able to humble “those who walk in pride.” (Daniel 4:37) As I read Belshazzar’s story, I was reminded how crucial it is to be intentional as we hand down our faith to our children and to our children’s children. In Daniel 5:18-21, Daniel recounts Nebuchadnezzar’s story of being humbled by God, and in verse 22, he says that Belshazzar already “knew all this.” Yet, Belshazzar “set himself up against the Lord of heaven.” (v. 23)

Where was the disconnect? If Belshazzar actually knew of the story of Nebuchadnezzar’s fall from glory, why did he choose to disregard it? Why did the queen mother have to tell Belshazzar to “call for Daniel, and he will tell you what the writing means?” (v. 12) Unfortunately, Belshazzar “knew about” this all-powerful God, but his family had not helped Belshazzar “know” this God personally. It cost him his life.

What am I doing to help my children meet God face-to-face? When my family encounters the God of the universe, I do not want them to react as Belshazzar did in verse 6. “His face turned pale and he was so frightened that his knees knocked together and his legs gave way.” I must train my children to “honor the God who holds in his hand your life and all your ways.” (v. 23) I want my family to be very familiar with the truth of the Bible because they have read it for themselves. I want my family to be very comfortable talking to Jesus because they pray to Him daily. I want my family to be filled with the Holy Spirit’s power because they worship Him regularly.

Lord God, you do hold my life in your hand. Help me be a living example of your truth to my children.

1 comment:

  1. What strikes me right now is- How often do we know the truth of God, have been taught the truth and yet we still even turn from it also?? We have to keep our focus on God, even when we might not like the consequences or His reaction to what we have done!

    ReplyDelete