Saturday, February 28, 2009

Daniel 4

Oh, how I have missed blogging with you! This has definitely been a week of the Tyranny of the Urgent. I feel like I have been forced to put Bible study on the back burner this week. It makes me miserable! I need some encouragement to stay consistent.

Will you read Daniel 4 with me? It begins with King Nebuchadnezzar telling the story of the previous 8 years of his life. Hindsight is 20/20, and without a doubt, Nebuchadnezzar wished he could turn back time and make a different choice.

In verses 4-8, Nebuchadnezzar had another one of his troubling dreams, but this time he told the magicians the details without making it a guessing game. Verse 8 begins with "Finally, Daniel came . . ." Didn't it make you wonder why the king didn't consult Daniel first? Verse 9 shows that the king had confidence in Daniel's ability; so I am very curious to understand why he even bothered to ask the other wise men's opinions.

After Daniel confirmed that the king's dream was a bad omen, he offered some words of wisdom in verse 27. "Therefore, O king, be pleased to accept my advice: Renounce your sins by doing what is right, and your wickedness by being kind to the oppressed. It may be that then your prosperity will continue." And Nebuchadnezzar completely disregarded Daniel's advice!! He was able to escape the consequences for a year, but then his selfish pride got the best of him, and the dream came true. Because Nebuchadnezzar refused to acknowledge the sovereignty of the One True God, he was driven away to live with the wild animals for seven years.

At the end of the seven years, the king chose to praise and glorify God, and God restored his kingdom. This time, Nebuchadnezzar seemed to understand that God has the power to humble the proud and that all things belong to God Almighty.

So, how can this story apply to our lives? First of all, am I walking in humility or selfish pride? Do I recognize that all good things come from the Father, and am I quick to praise Him for everything? Do I point others to Christ, and do I invite them to praise and exalt His Name with me? The Bible says in at least three different places that "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." Let's make it our goal to be worthy of His grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment