Sunday, September 28, 2008

Proverbs 2 & 3

I found out last night that one of my former students is in trouble. My heart is broken because I prayed often for the students in my classroom, and I told this particular student more than once that he had great potential and that God had a plan for his life. It reminds me how critical prayer covering is in the lives of our children. So, my post today will be my version of praying God's Word for my children. Will you please take it and make it your own, praying these words for your children, or your husband, or any special person in your life?

Proverbs 2
1 Dear God, please help my son and my daughter accept your words and store up your commands in their hearts.
2 Help them listen to wisdom and apply their hearts to understanding,
3 May they call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding,
4 Make their hearts' desire to look for wisdom as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure,
5 I pray earnestly that my children will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.
6 For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
7 You hold victory in store for the upright, You are a shield to those whose walk is blameless, Help my children to live blameless lives.
8 I beg you to guard the course of my children. Make them just and protect their way encouraging them to be your faithful ones.
9 Then they will understand what is right and just and fair—every good path.
10 May wisdom enter their hearts, and may knowledge be pleasant to their souls.
11 Grant them discretion to protect them, and understanding to guard them.
12 May Your wisdom save them from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse,
13 May my children never leave the straight paths to walk in dark ways,
14 Never allow them to delight in doing wrong or to rejoice in the perverseness of evil,
15 Keep them away from those whose paths are crooked and who are devious in their ways.
16 Please save my son also from the adulteress, may my daughter never become the wayward wife with seductive words,
17 Help my children to be faithful to their partners and help them uphold the covenants they make before God.
18 Help them realize that adultery leads down to death and her paths to the spirits of the dead.
19 None who go to her return or attain the paths of life.
20 Please, God, strengthen my children to walk in the ways of good men and keep to the paths of the righteous.
21 May they be counted among the upright who will live in the land, and the blameless who will remain in it;
22 Protect them from the wicked who will be cut off from the land, and the unfaithful who will be torn from it.

Pray God's Word out loud for your family and friends. Pray it diligently. Pray it often.

Proverbs 3 is even better than this. I want you to pray it for your loved ones. Insert their names as you pray. Make it personal and talk directly to God about the people in your life who need His guidance. Praying for others is a special privilege, and we do not take it as seriously as we should, myself included.

Thank you, Jesus. Your timing is always perfect.

10 comments:

  1. Praise God for His timing. I was getting so stressed about something and shared with someone that I was going to be praying for something pretty specific. God not only brought that answer to the prayer but there will be a wide open door because of it!! Praise God and I just ask Lord that we would seize this opportunity to share your love and grace.

    Proverbs 4:25-27 in prayer.
    25 Lord let my eyes look straight ahead, fix my gaze directly before me on you alone Lord.
    26 May the paths my feet trod be level and firm, so I can continue to stand firm in you, Lord.
    27 It is so easy Lord to get off course, swerving to the left or right but Lord keep me from even letting my feet point in the direction of evil. Only you Lord, straight for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy Jetton gave me a list once of verses that she prayed for her kids each day. They were great verses, but I lost them somehow when we moved here. Not a big surprise. Did she happen to give it to you while her and Bill were in Yuma? If she did would you pass it on to me? I enjoyed the blog, I really believe praying God's word for your kids makes a big difference. Sorry to hear about your student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christie~~I think I still have those verses somewhere if Dana doesn't. It's been awhile since I had them out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Timing is everything! I have known that prayer has always been important however I am coming to understand that it is our lifeline! The Holy Spirit has revealed to me that I am not spending near enough time in prayer. Oh I pray but the gut wrenching prayers are few and far between really. We are in the biggest battle of our lives as believers. Satan cannot have our souls so he goes after every aspect of our lives and what better way to get to us than through our families and those we care deeply about. It becomes so overwhelming at times that you think you almost cannot take another breath. I found myself leaving the altar this morning saying Lord I just don’t know how to pray for these things on my heart anymore. I need help. Your blog I believe was an answer to my prayer. Thank you for that.

    As for your former student, if there is something I can do to help, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am meeting with two great seasoned Christian women on Tuesday nights to pray. One of the women reminded us about the story in Acts 3:1-10 of a lame man who asked John and Peter for money. "So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them." He got something even bigger than money, he was healed. But he expected something. How often do we pray expecting God is going to do something? He also tells us that (and I'm horrible with addresses of verses.) We do not receive because we do not ask. Do we get so wrapped up in asking God for selfish things that we overlook asking Him for things that really matter, like our children's salvation, our nation's direction, to be a surrendered servant solely for His purposes, etc.? I know I have at times. But do we expect to hear from Him? Do we expect an answer from Him? I know I've thought "Ok, I'll pray about something, but He's not going to listen to me, or He'll never answer that prayer." No matter how we look at it, He always answers our prayers, just sometimes it's not how we would like Him to answer them. But He always answers them with the perfect answer for our lives at that particular time. I have so much I'm thinking about and could go on and on...but I won't take that much time. I think we (I) need to pray more fervently (like Christ), continuously, and expecting God's answer to be part of His perfect plan (even if it's not how I think it should go)!!

    I'll stop for now. Praying everyone is resting in God's assurance and peace!! He's got it all worked out already!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen, Amen, Amen! I have had a verse jumping out in several things over the past week or so and it is Luke 18:27 "What is impossible with men is possible with God." We just have to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy, will you share the verses with us that Judy gave you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll try to get that done by this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are looking forward to seeing everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A comment from my mom:
    What an awesome prayer! I know without a doubt God honors and answers our prayers for our family, and I'm in total agreement in praying Scripture for our family. May I as a grandparent be faithful to pray for our children and grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete