Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ecclesiastes 2

Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. (Isaiah 55:2)

King Solomon had enough money to buy everything he wanted for himself and all his wives. He had enough money to go anywhere and do anything his heart desired. Yet he was not satisfied. "Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun." (Ecc. 11:2) So why in the world do you and I try to store up wealth? What do we hope to gain? "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21)

In Ecclesiastes 2:17, the writer says he hated life. I wouldn't go quite that far, but there are many times when I tell Jesus that I am ready for His return. I get tired of fussing over details here on earth, and I'm ready to skip straight to heaven. Do you agree, or do you look forward to long life?

The reason the writer gives for hating life is because he has to leave everything to his heirs, and who knows whether they will be wise or foolish? He's right. We can't take it with us, and we can't control what generations after us will do with their inheritance.

Ecclesiates 2:24-26 sums it all up, "A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment? To the man who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind." Everything good comes from God, so we should spend our lives doing our best to please Him. What have I done today that would bring glory to Christ?

5 comments:

  1. Isaiah 57:13 When you cry out for help, let your collection of idols save you! The wind will carry all of them off, a mere breath will blow them away. But the man who makes me his refuge will inherit the land and possess my holy mountain.

    Lord, I choose to serve only you! Satan you have no welcome in my home, thoughts or heart. No matter how difficult it can be Lord, help me hold my head high to you. In Jesus Name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you find, Melinda, that when we say that,Satan knocks louder?

    You really do feel more as God pulls the blinders away a little at a time. The world seems so different now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God has my heart so all Satan can do is try to shut me down. No way, Satan!!! I may struggle a bit but God will raise me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was having this conversation with someone yesterday....gives me chills.... they said the very same thing that you did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back, Melissa! You always have terrific insight to share. I love hearing about how God talks to you. I love this blog too and especially all the women who are studying along with me. It's cool how chatting about the Bible with all of you helps me to process what God is teaching me.

    Love ya,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete