Sunday, September 7, 2008

Ecclesiastes 3

A Time for Everything

Tell me honestly, do you really truly believe this passage of Scripture? Do you really think there is a time to die, to uproot, to kill, to tear down, to weep and mourn? I get the feeling that as spoiled Americans we think life should be a bed of roses and that we should endure absolutely no hardship whatsoever. However, God is telling us in Ecclesiastes 3 that hard times are simply a part of life. So, we have to take the bad with the good and quit griping about it. We want to blame all the bad stuff on a mean, uncaring God, and we want to take credit when things in life are successful. Uh uh. That's not how my Bible reads. "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end." (Ecc. 3:11) You and I have absolutely no control over the events in our lives. God has it planned from beginning to end, and you and I cannot even fathom His plans. So, Solomon's advice is to be happy and do the best you can and leave the rest in God's hands.

Okay, I'm not quite sure where that soap box came from because I had not planned to write that first paragraph. So, if the shoe fits wear it. If not, then maybe you'll like the rest of this post a little better.

If you have time, will you read this chapter in The Message version? It just does a terrific job of putting it into every day language that you and I may relate to a little better. Then, will you respond to this post by writing about the verse that describes where you are in life right now? At some point in our lives, we will each experience all of the events and emotions described in Ecclesiastes 3. I'm just curious to know where God has you right now.

I am right in the middle of verse 6--"a time to keep and a time to throw away." I have recently packed up my entire house to move from Colorado to Oklahoma. (Yeah, I know, everybody's jaw drops here in Oklahoma when I tell them we left cool, colorful Colorado. Because every Oklahoman vacations in Colorado.) Anyway, I have had to make countless decisions about what to keep and what to throw away. And I thought I had done a good job of getting rid of excess cargo, but I have taken three more good-sized boxes to Goodwill since we arrived. What I have found, though, is that keeping and throwing away does not apply only to material belongings. It also applies to attitudes and thoughts and old habits and the way we do things. In what areas of my life would God like permission to perform a good housecleaning? What am I holding on to in my heart that needs pitched in the garbage?

Before leaving this chapter, I also want to comment on the writer's thoughts in verses 18-21. Did the writer actually think that we are no different than animals? Traditional Jewish teaching did not emphasize life after death because God's promises to the Israelites in the Old Testament focused on material blessings for obedience. When Jesus introduced the new covenant in His blood, He promised eternal life. Solomon did not have the benefit of knowing Jesus. He was looking forward to the Messiah. He had no assurance of life after death any more than his pet dog had. You and I, however, know differently. Jesus promised us in John 3:16 that God loves us and that if we believe in His Son we will not perish but have eternal life. In John 10:28, Jesus said He gives us eternal life and no one can snatch us out of His hand. John also tells us in 20:31 "But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." God wants us to know that we know that we know that we can live with Him for eternity in heaven. I'm gonna be there! Are you?

7 comments:

  1. As hard as it can be to believe that there really is a time for all of those things, I do with all of my heart believe this. I don't understand why but God makes it work. I know that situations I have been in the past couple of days will have good and bad come from them and as a follower of Christ, I have the opportunity to make a difference and share the love of Christ. These opportunities come and how many times does God hold the door open and we don't go in to be his hands and feet working? The door slowly shuts and we have missed it. Does God cry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do we react when our children are hurt? Or when they disappoint us? What ever the situation is, I have to believe that God cries for us.......know body loves us like that. Know body but God promises to love us like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I googled the question, "Does God Cry?" and this poem came up.
    ~ Does God Cry? ~

    A little girl once asked, "Mommy does God cry?"
    "Don't be silly, God can't cry baby," her mother replied.

    "But what about when He looks down from Heaven above
    And sees all the people who needs His love?

    And what about when He looks down and sees
    The playground kids fall and scrape their knees?

    Or how about Aunt Jane who can't have baby girls or boys?
    Or what about the poor kids who gets no Christmas toys?

    Maybe God would cry if He lived with my friend Tommy.
    Whose daddy beats and bruises him and his mommy.

    Or maybe if He looked down and saw people being killed,
    I think He'd surely have eyes that are tear filled.

    But I think most of all, mommy, what would have made God cry,
    Is when He looked down at the cross and watched His baby die."

    The mother stood in silence as her eyes filled with tears,
    For she knew her little girl was wise beyond her years.

    Staring into deep blue eyes, the mother found courage to say,
    "Yes baby girl, I think God looks down and cries every day."

    http://www.ourchurch.com/view/?pageID=188148 Copy the link into your browser to see the website where I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Message version was very clear, thank you Dana for pointing that out. And that poem was amazing, thank you for sharing that too!


    In The Message it compares humans to animals...... It says God is testing the lot of us , showing us up as nothing but animals.What are your thoughts on that?

    verse 3:15 (The Message)
    Whatever was, is
    Whatever will be, is
    That's how it always is with God
    Why is that so hard for me to grasp?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My only thought is along the lines of what I wrote in the original post for Ecc. 3. Solomon did not have the promise of eternal life because Jesus had not yet come. So Solomon had no reason to know that his death would be any different than the animals'. As far as he knew, they all went to the same place, the grave.

    Psalm 8 says that man is created a little lower than the angels and that man is ruler over all the beasts. So I do believe that man is much different than the animals. We have a spirit that allows us to commune with God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do believe these verses, but sometimes I lose sight of that there is a time for everything and it's all in God's plan for my life.
    I think I'm at vs. 3 in my life, not the killing part though. "a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build." I think I need some time to heal from some hurts of my past that continue to cause me to think people are hurting me when they really don't mean to. It is so hard to let go of those hurts of being rejected. I have to tear down those walls that I want to keep up to protect myself from being hurt. I also have to tear down all those negative thoughts that Satan puts in my head about me being unlovable, worthless, alone, etc. I have to build up what God wants me to build on and that's His love is enough!!! I'm still working on that and some days are better than others. But I've got to believe that He is enough for me! I just keep telling myself that. As Beth Moore said, "Jesus loves me, this I know..." I have said that more in the past couple weeks than I have ever said it my whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is only one thing that we can put our faith in and that is JESUS LOVES ME THIS I KNOW!

    He is the only one that will never let us down!

    ReplyDelete