Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Nahum 1, Zephaniah 3, Habakkuk 1

King Josiah (whom we studied yesterday), Nahum, Zephaniah, Jeremiah, and Habakkuk were all contemporaries, meaning they lived and ministered during the same time period. Josiah reigned from 640 to 609 B.C. While Josiah worked his tail off cleansing Judah of her idolatry, these four prophets were predicting the Babylonian exile. King Josiah was fighting a losing battle. How do I respond when I realize I can’t win for losing? I typically shut down when I am overwhelmed. I know I would not have had the courage of Josiah to keep working against the odds. He had four gloom and doom prophets who were telling the world that bondage in Babylon was on the horizon. It makes me look at Josiah with awe. Let’s pray today for courage to stand against the tide of evil in our day. We can be certain that God will make it worth our effort. “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” (Romans 8:18)

Nahum’s message was very straight forward. “The LORD is a jealous and avenging God; the LORD takes vengeance and is filled with wrath.” (Nahum 1:2a) “The mountains quake before him and the hills melt away. The earth trembles at his presence, and the world and all who live in it.” (Nahum 1:5) People get ready; Jesus is coming! My favorite verse in this chapter is 1:7. “The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him.” It is right in the middle of the chapter, sandwiched between “God’s wrath is poured out like fire” and “with an overwhelming flood God will make an end of his foes.” I want to live my life with the assurance that God is my refuge in times of trouble. My God has always been faithful to care for me when I trust in Him.

Zephaniah’s prophecy is summed up at the end of Chapter 3 verse 8, “The whole world will be consumed by the fire of my jealous anger.” God’s judgment was certain, and the people were to expect it soon. In the next breath Zephaniah offers hope, however, as he explains the goal of God’s fierce anger. “Then I will purify the lips of the peoples, that all of them may call on the name of the LORD and serve him shoulder to shoulder.” (Zeph. 3:9) Read that verse again. I think that sounds like a terrific prayer for any church. When we go through difficult times as a church, God is seeking to purify our lips so we may serve the LORD in unity. Amen. The other two verses I like from this chapter are 12 & 17. “But I will leave within you the meek and humble, who trust in the name of the LORD.” “The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.” I love that!

Habakkuk was asking the question I ask the LORD quite frequently if I watch the evening news. “Why do you tolerate wrong? Why then do you tolerate the treacherous? Justice never prevails.” (Hab. 1:3, 13, 4) When are you coming back, LORD? Why do you let this evil world exist? I’m tired of the stress of this life. Why don’t you just come on back, Jesus? God’s response to Habakkuk’s inquiry was, “I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told.” (Hab. 1:5) All right! Bring it on, God! I want to see your power and the display of your splendor! Please show up to us in our day.

Let’s save Jeremiah 1-5 for our next reading, okay. I pray you will be on the look out for the LORD your deliverer today!

4 comments:

  1. Habakkuk 2:3-4 "The revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay. See, he is puffed up;his desires are not upright-but the righteous will live by his faith."

    I know that was not part of the reading but they are such short books that you can't help but read further. Those verses just seemed to sum up for me the answer to the why question. God will not be proved wrong but we must wait and continue to press on, firmly grounded in Him. The day will come and will we be ready? Will our family, friends, and neighbors be ready?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melinda! I too could not help but read on in Habakkuk. Though it linger, wait for it. . . . I get really impatient waiting on God's timing, don't you? Thanks for the reminder that while we are waiting, we should be preparing ourselves and others for Christ's return!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOO, this is too good! Cristie Seeley always said if you hear a verse 3 times in a row, you better sit up and listen cuz God wants you to learn something. I think that is true also for topics. I have been surrounded with things about "waiting on the Lord." These verses talk about waiting on God's timing. In the movie, Fireproof, there was a song that talked about "waiting." I loved that song, so I went to Bible Lighthouse and found out who it was by and bought it. I have made it my song for 2009! It is by John Waller, "While I'm Waiting." Here are the words to it:

    I'm waiting, I'm waiting on You, Lord and I am hopeful.
    I'm waiting on you, Lord though it is painful, but patiently, I will wait.
    I will move ahead bold and confident, taking every step in obedience while I'm waiting.
    I will serve you while I'm waiting.
    I will worship while I'm waiting. I will not faint.
    I'll be running the race even while I wait.
    I'm waiting, I'm waiting on You, Lord and I am peaceful.
    I'm waiting on You, Lord though it's not easy, but faithfully, I will wait. Yes, I will wait.
    I will serve you while I'm waiting.
    I will worship while I'm waiting. I will serve You while I'm waiting.
    I will worship while I'm waiting. I will serve You while I'm waiting.
    I will worship while I'm waiting on You, Lord.

    Hmmmm, that's repeated at the end of the song 3 times. It's such an amazing song. I hope you take notice to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, Melissa. I giggled when you mentioned Christie's saying when I knew you probably hadn't read my blog post on the Ezekiel chapters yet. I am grateful for the Seeley family's impact on our lives. Today I pray that God will continue to bless their ministry.

    Thanks for mentioning John Waller's song "While I'm Waiting." I will post the You-tube clip.

    ReplyDelete