Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ezekiel 1-3, 18 & 33

Okay, here goes . . . . I have been reading these chapters for a week now, and I'm not certain I have a clear picture of what God wants us to learn just yet. So, I pray you will not be too disappointed in what I write. At least you have the other commentaries to research; so I trust you will not simply be satisfied with my meager opinion.

Ezekiel 1--I still don't completely understand this chapter, and I feel like even the knowledgeable commentators were most likely taking a guess when they discussed this chapter. However, when I read Ezekiel's vision, it makes me want to see God in such a miraculous way. My God is no ordinary god. He is clouded in mystery, and no man can fully imagine God's power and glory and majesty. My God is indescribable, and if I try to describe the way I picture Him, it likely will not be the same way you would describe Him. Let's take time each day to stand in awe of our Savior. Let's not take our relationship with the God of the universe for granted like we would an old pair of shoes. "This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking." (Ez. 1:28b)

Ezekiel 2--Ezekiel's Call to Ministry. I would love to hear about your call to ministry. What do you feel God has called you to do in His Kingdom? How did you come to understand what He wants of you? Ezekiel, like most of the prophets, was called to an impossible task. Although he would not have to learn a new language, the people Ezekiel would speak to would be rebellious and non-responsive to his message. That is a tough calling. Would I have been obedient to answer as Ezekiel did?

Ezekiel 3--"But the house of Israel is not willing to listen to you because they are not willing to listen to me, for the whole house of Israel is hardened and obstinate. But I will make you as unyielding and hardened as they are." (vs. 7-8) "Then the Spirit lifted me up, and I heard behind me a loud rumbling sound—May the glory of the LORD be praised in his dwelling place! --the sound of the wings of the living creatures brushing against each other and the sound of the wheels beside them, a loud rumbling sound." (12-13) I love the expression of praise in the middle of Ezekiel's thought. :-)

The Spirit then lifted me up and took me away, and I went in bitterness and in the anger of my spirit, with the strong hand of the LORD upon me. I came to the exiles who lived at Tel Abib near the Kebar River. And there, where they were living, I sat among them for seven days-overwhelmed. (vs. 14-15) Overwhelmed . . . I certainly would have been too. He sat with the people saying nothing for seven whole days! You know, sometimes I hesitate to visit or call someone because I'm not sure what to say or do. Ezekiel didn't say or do anything, but he was there building a rapport with the people just by being in their presence.

vs. 16-20--At the end of seven days, the Lord told Ezekiel what to say and do. Plain and simple, warn the sinner, or he will die, and you will be held accountable. This same instruction is given to Ezekiel in chapters 18 & 33 as well. My friend Christie Seeley says that if you hear God tell you something three times, then you had best be getting the message! So, does this instruction for Ezekiel also apply to our lives? I do believe we are called to warn people of the penalty of their sins. But I'm not sure I do that very well or very often.

Ezekiel 18:30-32 "Therefore, O house of Israel, I will judge you, each one according to his ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, O house of Israel? For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!" God has made a way for all of us to live eternally. Let's make certain we are obedient to God and ask Jesus to forgive our sins and help us to turn from them. Then let's make it our business to encourage others to repent and live!

I know I took a skip, a hop, and a jump through Ezekiel, and I probably missed something you thought was important. Would you please post a comment so we can discuss it? I am so thankful you are taking this journey through God's Word with me!

5 comments:

  1. I got a little bogged down in chapter 1 and that is all the progress I have made. Since Ezekiel was preparing to be a preist prior to his being taken captive to Babylon, it seemed to me God had to give Ezekiel a powerful vision of His Holiness as He called him up higher. Being a prophet wasn't going to be an easy task and Ezekiel had to be certain of his calling. It was amazing to me the vision Ezekiel was given was the same vision John received in Revelation Chapter 4. In verse 28 when Ezekiel fell on his face, the glory of God was and is so powerful that it calls us into worship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ezekiel was unable to stand before God in his own power - just like us he needed the infilling of the Spirit. God told Ezekiel again and again He was sending him to minister to a very rebellious group of people. Would I have been willing? It is easy to minister to those who are loving, kind and accepting, but to know you were facing sure persecution - Wow!

    Much was being required of Ezekiel and his obedience - he had responsibility for the righteous and the unrighteous. Not only would he have to deliver the message to those completely consumed by sin, but also to those who thought they were living right, but truly had strayed from God. When God gave Ezekiel the instruction to eat the scroll - God was equipping him to speak His words as is later revealed in verse 27 - when God spoke to Ezekiel - He would open his mouth to speak the words of the Lord - "Thus says the LORD GOD.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stand in awe at how God uses us to speak to others. I just blogged yesterday about Christie Seeley telling us if we hear it 3 times, we better listen and now you said it agin in this blog. And I have heard others reference to Christie telling us that. It seems that Christie may be our Ezekiel today. God knows that sometimes we have to hear it from someone else to heed something He has already told us and He gives them the courage and wisdom to tell us His truths. It's our duty to take it or leave it. But we better make sure that it is coming from Him these days. And if He calls us to be the one to speak up, then we better do it! I don't want to have to answer to Him of why I kept my mouth shut when I wasn't suppose to. Oh, God, please give me the words you would have me say to others at just the right time. Please help me to not keep quiet when you want me to speak and to stay quiet when you want me to.

    Thank you, Dana, for your insight. As I read Ezekiel 1, I was at a loss. It really helps to read others thoughts on verses, especially like these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ezekiel 18--I agree with you it is our responsibilty to encourage others to repent and live. I believe it is also our responsibility to help people understand that each one of us is accountable before God. Just because our grandparents and parents were Christians, doesn't guarantee us a place in Heaven with Jesus, each person has to make that decision themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I totally agree with that, Gayle! We are each responsible for our personal relationship to God. I might also add that being a church member does not save you. We encounter so many people who claim to be members of a church, yet they are not living a life pleasing to God.

    ReplyDelete