Friday, January 9, 2009

Jeremiah 1-5

Jeremiah took on a job position that you and I would have refused. He is known as the weeping prophet for good reason. God did not send Jeremiah to spread the good news. Jeremiah’s job was to speak harsh judgment against the nations of the world. Yet, God had chosen Jeremiah before he was even born. (Jer. 1:5) Did Jeremiah try to talk God out of calling him? Yep. Did Jeremiah obey God anyway? Absolutely.

God knew you too before He formed you in your mother’s womb. What has He appointed you to be and do? I encourage you to have that conversation with your Creator God. Life is too short not to know what your purpose is in this life. Ask God to show you plainly. Life is much more enjoyable when you are fulfilling God’s calling on your life. Even when the call is difficult, it is much easier to bear when you can see God’s hand at work in your circumstances. We know Jeremiah did not enjoy his work, but he was able to persevere because he knew God had a plan. “You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the LORD. (v. 7-8)

The theme of Jeremiah 1-5 is that God’s people had forgotten Him. He was calling them to repentance, but they would not listen. They believed the lies of the priests instead because the priests told them what they wanted to hear. In this new year of 2009, let us return to our first love of God with passion. Let’s go glorify God together!

1 comment:

  1. It is sad how much God yearned for his people and they just turned from him and that still continues today. Jeremiah 3:4-5 "Have you not called to me; 'My Father, my friend from my youth, will you always be angry? Will your wrath continue forever?' This is how you talk, but you do all the evil you can."

    We call to God and expect Him to answer but what changes are we willing to make, not many! Lord, help me to yearn for you as much as you yearn for me.

    ReplyDelete