Monday, October 27, 2008

2 Kings 2

I want to say a special “Thank You” to my fabulous husband for helping me with his insight for this passage. I was making it too hard looking for hidden meaning behind the three groups of prophets. I wanted to know how the prophets knew that Elijah was leaving and why Elisha didn’t want to talk about it. Why did Elijah keep trying to convince Elisha to stay behind? Trent pointed out that the central theme of this story is the mentoring relationship between Elijah and Elisha. Aha moment for me!

Mentoring has been a recurring theme in my thoughts lately. Trent’s marriage project will focus on mentoring. The members at our new church have brought up the idea of discipleship several times. One of the most rewarding times for me at our previous church was when I read through the Bible with women who were hungry to know God’s Word. I have always been grateful for the discipleship group my pastor had for my friends and I when we were young.

Reading about Elijah and Elisha’s relationship caused me to think of other biblical examples of mentoring. Naomi and Ruth, Eli and Samuel, Jesus and Peter, Paul and Timothy. In each case, the mentor poured himself into the life of another. In each case, the student was a faithful follower of the leader. The mentor saw potential in the student, and the student loved and admired the mentor. Were any of these relationships identical? Did any of them require the completion of an extensive curriculum? No. They were open and honest relationships where both parties were transparent with one another. Were these always easy relationships? No. Sometimes one party had to confront the other to keep the relationship on track. Did both mentor and student benefit from the relationship? Most definitely.

2 Kings 2:9-10—Elijah said to Elisha, “Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?” “Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit,” Elisha replied. “You have asked a difficult thing,” Elijah said, “yet if you see me when I am taken from you, it will be yours—otherwise not.” I think we can gain important wisdom from this conversation between mentor and mentee.

1. The mentor needs to understand what the mentee needs from her.
2. The mentee must set specific goals for her learning.
3. The mentor must hold the mentee accountable to meet certain expectations.
4. The mentee must be faithful to do what the mentor requires.


Once a few ground rules are in place, the rest is all about relationship. Author and speaker Chris Adams says it is about “doing life together.” Author and pastor Max Lucado speaks about “being a faucet of love” in someone else’s life.

Can I challenge you to pray and ask for God’s guidance about entering into a mentoring relationship? Do you need someone to pour her knowledge into your life? Ask her to be your mentor. Has God brought someone into your life you know needs encouragement to start her journey with God? Ask her to simply read the Bible with you. Then let God build your relationship and grow it deep in His goodness and truth.

I am praying. Will you?

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought about it being about mentorship, but I see it now. I'm still wondering about the last verses - 23-25? Wow, that God allowed Elisha to punish those who were mocking him? That seems opposite of what God teaches us to do unto those who mock us, so what are those verses about? Can you give me an "AHA moment" about those verses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, I think mentorships are some of our greatest callings as believers. We need to be willing to be mentored and be willing to mentor. I find some of the greatest opportunities happen naturally, not in a program but just in an intentional relationship. When I make more of an effort to explain why I made such and so decision, that mentors the one I explain to. Look what Jesus did with 12 men, in a mentoring situation! We can do a little of that ourselves. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, I don't have an answer except that we can't put God in a box. He is the God who loves justice, and He chose not to tolerate the 42 youths who mocked His messenger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The following is from my friend Nancy. She told me she hopes her story can help someone else.

    Dana I know this is from last week but I'm a little slow and had to get up the guts to do it.

    I was in Jr High when I accepted Christ as my personal Savior. I went to private christian school ,and attended church so I had God coming and going. I got in trouble a lot in school and was a frequent flyer in the principals office. Every time after my corporal punishment was given,I was asked if you died tonight would you spend eternity in heaven. I always said yes just to get out of there. They would pray and I would be on my way. After several times of that, and being convicted at church, I caved in the principals office and admitted I was a sinner and I wanted Christ in my life.

    When I got into college I did some major backsliding. The people I went to school with never knew I was christian. I partied big time with anyone and everyone I even had someone call me there party buddy because we tried to out drink each other. I drank like a fish, smoked, had a very foul mouth, and dabbled in drugs. I still would go to church sometimes when I didn't have to much of a hang over. I didn't want the people I went to church with to know I was leading a double life. I think some of them knew and put up a lot of prayers in my behalf. After two years of heavy partying I decided to go to school part time and get a job. I got a job at the christian school I graduated from. They expanded and opened a preschool on the campus. Early childhood was my major and they were hiring. I was still hanging out with my party friends, going to church, and working at a christian school talk about riding the fence. I kept feeling convicted but ignored it.

    On my 23rd birthday I had a party. I said to one of my friends before the party I was not going to drink that much she said yeah right. Well I drank to much and did some drugs. That night when the party was over I was pretty bad off. My head was spinning and I couldn't breathe. God had enough of my fence riding. I was scared that I was going to die. I did some major praying and, confessing and, pleaded for my sorry life. I left the party life that night. The next morning I was great full God gave me a second chance to live my life for Him. I am not proud of my past, but I have forgiveness. I have learned from my mistakes, and let God take control of my life. I'm thank full God didn't give up on me and I can serve Him.

    Amen, sister! I am thank full for you too!

    ReplyDelete