Wednesday, October 15, 2008

1 Kings 18:1-22

"After a long time, in the third year . . . . The famine was severe . . . ."



You and I have never known such extreme drought in our lifetime. Even if you live in the desert Southwest US, you see close to 8 inches of rain a year. Elijah's declaration resulted in zero rainfall for three whole years. Keep in mind that the people in Elijah's day did not have the benefit of water storage or electric pump wells. Even when our nation experiences drought, we have access to water. You would think God had Israel's attention after three years! However, Scripture does not record King Ahab seeking relief from God. Sure, he sent people looking for Elijah, but he wanted to take his life, not seek his wisdom. Baal worship was prevalent because of King Ahab's wife Jezebel, but God was setting the stage for a grand display of His glory.



Obadiah. Can anybody identify with the role he played? Obadiah was hiding prophets in caves, but at the same time, he was servant to the evil king. He was between a rock and a hard place. Obadiah was a man of God, but he worked a secular job. He wanted to stand up for his faith, but he also wanted to maintain his lifestyle. I'm not judging Obadiah, because I've been there. Often times God uses Christians in the work place to be living examples of His love. At the same time, I see a contrast between the lives of Obadiah and Elijah. Obadiah was careful. Elijah was radical. Obadiah hid his faith. Elijah made his public. Obadiah is a little-known prophet. Elijah's legacy lives on. During the Passover, the Jews set an extra place at the table in hope of the return of Elijah. Which of these prophets does your life resemble?

In verse 15, before Obadiah would agree to tell his master that Elijah was there, he made Elijah promise he wouldn't disappear. Once again, Elijah proves to be a man of his word. Let's agree to be people like that, men and women who do what we say we are going to do. If there is anything that gets on my nerves, it's having someone promise they will be there, but they never show up.

Verses 16-17 give us a snapshot of the great debate between Ahab and Elijah. "I'm not the troubler of Israel, you are." "No, you are." "No, I'm not, you are." Sounds like a certain couple of US senators in a recent debate, don't you think?

I like the challenge Elijah gives the people in verse 21. "How long will you waver between two opinions? If the LORD is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him." But the people said nothing. Oh, this is so similar to our current presidential election, I can hardly stand it. Everyone is still undecided. We are all standing around waiting for the fireworks display before we will cast our vote. Pray, dear people. Pray as if your future depended on it, because it does. Pray for God's mercy on our nation. Pray that He will hear our cries and forgive our land. Pray that God will raise up godly leaders rather than hand us over to the evil leaders we deserve. God used pagan kings to bring Israel back into line with His will. What makes us think that America deserves anything better? The LORD disciplines those He loves. People get ready!

Verse 22--Elijah thought he was the only prophet of God left. That was not true, but you and I know exactly how Elijah felt. One of satan's best tools against us is isolation, the feeling that we are the only person out there fighting God's battles. He separates us from the herd like a lone calf on the prairie. Look around, sister, God is gathering His army. You are not alone. Do not live a life of defeat.

Ooops. It looks like I only made it halfway through this chapter. Is it okay if I post here and come back later? Have a fab day, ladies! I'll see you tomorrow at the Challenge on Mount Carmel.

4 comments:

  1. The famine was severe and the drought was extreme...we are experiencing the same thing but it is a spiritual drought. We are all so consumed with finding our own happiness and figuring out what makes us feel fulfilled that we have missed God. Then we ask, where is God, why is he letting this happen? As someone very dear to me reminded me last night that it is all about our choices and the end results may not happen immediately it may take weeks, months and even years before we really see the result from those choices. Am I making good choices? How do those choices affect me but also others around me, my family and friends? Are the choices I make God pleasing? Do I hide my faith and figure that I have done enough to secure my eternity? Oh Lord, help me to seek you in my choices and let those choices be pleasing to you. May you be revealed to others through those choices.

    In this time of uncertainty in the U.S. it could be so easy for me to be full of anxiety, yes I am concerned but God has me in his hand. I may have to endure hardship but in the end My God, holds everything in his hands...even me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our ladies are doing the Max Lucado study Come Thirsty. The chapter I just read today is causing a paradigm shift for me. Max quoted the following verses:

    Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things."

    Ecc 7:14 "When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, a man cannot discover anything about his future."

    Lam. 3:38 "Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come?"

    I have always believed that God can use all things for our good, but these verses say that God brings both good and bad into our lives. As you said, Melinda, "we are all so consumed with finding our own happiness." Max Lucado says, "Our priority is WE. God's priority, however, is God."

    His goal is to bring glory to Himself, and He will use whatever tool in our lives that will prove He is mighty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also need to remember who wins in the end- GOD!! AMEN!! Therefore, we don't need to be anxious or worry about what our future is, because God has promised us victory over evil. Yes, we are going to see hard times, more than I want to see, but the ultimate war is yet to come, but we can rest assured because we already know the outcome. We win because of our SAVIOR and sweet JESUS!! I'm ready to see my Savior face to face, but now I have to make sure I do my part for others to also be ready to see Him face to face. We have to get going, ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete