Tuesday, October 21, 2008

1 Kings 21

I remember the story of Naboth's Vineyard from Sunday School when I was a little girl. It has never been my favorite story because the good guy loses to the bad guy. Let me sum it up.

Ahab has a pity party because Naboth won't sell him his vineyard. Naboth wanted to keep it because land was a very important inheritance to the Hebrew people. So Ahab's wife Jezebel had Naboth killed. I don't quite understand why she went to the trouble of declaring a day of fasting and having Naboth falsely accused by two scoundrels. But hey, Jezebel was evil, and that's the way evil people operate. After Naboth is stoned, Jezebel gives his vineyard to her wimpy husband. Then Elijah shows up and prophesies that Ahab's kingdom is doomed and that Jezebel will be fed to the dogs. Ahab humbles himself before God, and God postpones the punishment. Ahab dies in 1 Kings 22, and Jezebel meets her predicted death in 2 Kings 9.

What a pretty Sunday School story. It should reiterate to us that life on earth is not fair. The Bible never teaches that life was meant to be fair. Sometimes evil triumphs over good, but God is ultimately in control. I've read the end of the story, and our God wins!!!! His entire purpose is to bring glory to His Name, not to mine. My job is to trust Him no matter the circumstances I encounter in this earthly life. Let's keep our eyes focused on the finish line, where we will win the prize of eternity with Jesus Christ, our Savior and LORD! I'll race you to the end. :-)

4 comments:

  1. tough story...I preached on Jepthah that daughter killer last week and was just about to blog in it when I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, your sermon came from Judges 11? Oh wow, I absolutely could not do what Jephthah did! Why in the world would he make such a vow anyway? What was he envisioning when he said "whatever comes out of my house to meet me?" I don't understand the importance the Jews placed on vow keeping either because that would be one vow I would have broken. Do you think God wanted him to hold to it at the cost of his own daughter? I'll look forward to your blog on the topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brings up a ? Why is that it seems like those who should be punished for their evil, get off the hook with God just because he humbled himself. OH, that's what I've been given- FORGIVENESS from GOD. I also deserve to be punished for the evil I have done, but because I seek the LORD and ask Him for forgiveness, He doesn't punish me for what I deserve. Makes complete sense to me. But being on the other side of it and receiving evil from someone else, I want to see that person suffer, even if they have asked God for forgiveness. OOPS, but if God didn't give that for to the one who wronged me, then He wouldn't show me favor either. Hmmm, there's something to ponder when we want to see revenge given. But what about those who don't humble themselves before the Lord, why is it that they don't seem to receive punishment for the evil they have done? Well, eventually, they will answer to God and receive the punishment they deserve. Boy am I glad that I have received and not refused the forgiveness from God!! The end is inevitable for everyone. WE ALL will answer to the Lord! AMEN that all of this is in GOD's will!! Thank you Lord for your mercy and grace upon me even though I am not deserving of it. Thank you that I realized what I needed before it was too late. Please help my enemies to see that they must humble themselves before you for forgiveness, so they will not suffer the punishment they deserve as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, Melissa. We are a lot like Jonah, who sat down and pouted when God forgave the people of Nineveh who repented of their sin. We want people to grovel at our feet and ask for forgiveness. It is not easy for us to acknowledge that revenge is God's business, not ours. My favorite definition of forgiveness comes from the book "Boundaries." The authors say it means to release someone from what we think they owe to us. If I truly forgive someone, I no longer expect them to make it right.

    ReplyDelete