Saturday, June 24, 2017

What Is Your Pet Sin?

Wait a minute! Hold the phone! I thought Paul said we had already died to our sin. Then why does he write at length about taking off the old self and putting our sinful nature to death in Colossians 3:5-11? Because our sin keeps resurrecting itself!

God commands us to put to death these things:
  • sexual immorality
  • impurity
  • lust
  • evil desires
  • greed (which is idolatry)
  • anger
  • rage
  • malice
  • slander
  • filthy language
  • lies
  • division
  • discrimination
These are the things of earth that need to be past-tense in our lives. Jesus died to see us free from all these evil desires. He wants to eradicate sin from our lives, but we keep a pet sin hidden in the closet. Let's bring it out into the light and let God destroy it.

Which item(s) on this sin list still have a hold on you? It is holding you captive to this world. Can you kill it in the power of the Holy Spirit? If you do not, it will be the death of you.

Father, I confess my sin of ____________________ (you fill in the blanks). I will NEVER acquire enough ____________________ to feel satisfied. ____________________ is a moving target, and I am a leaky vessel. My soul is starving because I am trying to fill it with ___________________ instead of with You. LORD, I confess that I have set up the idol of ______________________, and I bow down to it daily. I need You to topple this god and reign Supreme in my heart, mind, and soul. In the precious Name of Jesus Christ, my LORD and Savior, AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment