Thursday, July 28, 2016

Watch Your Mouth!

When I was in 6th grade, all my friends and I thought we were super cool. We tried to create a gang, and each of us had a nickname after a sports car. I was RX-7. We also thought it was cool to tell dirty stories and use cuss words. Our principal squashed our plans by telling us it was illegal to form a gang. Thus, we were instantly reformed from our thug lives.

Do you look at your past and regret some of your actions? I do, especially things I said. I was a know-it-all, and I said a lot of things that hurt people’s feelings. I want to publicly apologize to everyone I went to school with, because I was a self-centered braggart. Even now, I still slip up and wish I could take back something I said yesterday, but I try to think before I speak. In Chapter 3, James says being able to control your tongue is a sign of maturity. I’m not there yet; I am a work in progress. James says a tongue out of control is restless, evil, and full of deadly poison. Lord, forgive me.

James uses a number of word pictures to explain the power of the tongue. It’s small but powerful, like a bit in a horse’s mouth or the rudder of a large ship. The tongue is like a small spark that sets a forest ablaze. James says it is easier to tame wild animals than it is to tame our tongues. Amen! Preach it, brother!
James says it isn’t right to use our tongues both to praise God and to curse men. We can’t be wells of refreshing, clean water if we spew dirt and filth from our mouths. He says if we are wise and sensible, we will be humble and right with God and others. James contrasts two types of wisdom: earthly and heavenly. Which of these lists does your own wisdom resemble?
I’m convicted. Are you? Let’s grow up, be mature and wise, and control our tongues. My goal for today: Watch my mouth so I don’t have to eat humble pie for supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment