Monday, June 1, 2009

John 4--Jesus is the Real Thing!

John 4:1-3--What impresses me most about these verses is that Jesus was not interested in trying to win a popularity contest against his cousin John the Baptist. Rather than stirring up trouble, he decided to move on. We should follow that example, especially when the focus draws attention to ourselves rather than drawing people closer to Christ.

v. 4--Why did Jesus have to go through Samaria when all the religious Jews traveled around the despised country? Because He had an unannounced appointment with a woman who was lost as a goose without Him. Why should you and I listen to the Holy Spirit when He tells us to pay a visit to someone? Because He has scheduled a divine appointment that we must not ignore.

v. 7--"Will you give me a drink?" Now, that's the oldest pick-up line in the book! [grin] Was Jesus really tired, hungry, and thirsty? In His godly form, probably not, but in His human form, yes, absolutely. Jesus invited this woman to help meet His physical needs. That opened the door for communication and relationship. People need us to be vulnerable in relationship. When we appear self-sufficient, it seems that we have no need for relationship. (I am preaching to myself because this is a lesson God has recently brought to my attention.)

v. 9--Jesus never let social taboos prevent Him from ministering to a person's soul. He spoke to women, touched the lepers, ate with sinners, never worrying about tarnishing His reputation. What petty fears do I use as an excuse for not reaching out to people in need?

v. 14--Are you drinking daily from the spring of water welling up to eternal life? I pray that Jesus will so fill you that you cannot possibly contain it! Makes me wanna shout!!!

v. 16-19--Jesus touched a tender nerve with this woman, and she quickly tried to change the subject. When Jesus wants to deal with the sin in your life, please don't change the subject. Let Him pry into your business. Be open and honest. Let Him cleanse your heart.

v. 23--God is seeking true worshipers, those who worship in spirit and in truth. Do you connect your spirit daily with the Holy Spirit? Do you meditate on the truth of God's Word daily? Are you letting worship of the One True God change your life from the inside out? Girls, I don't want to be a fake worshiper. I want to be an all-out, sold-out, true worshiper, welling up with the Spirit of the Living God!!! Will you join me? "Come, glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt His Name together!" (Ps. 34:3)

v. 29--Has Jesus so changed your life that you are compelled to invite others to come see Him? What has happened to our zeal?

v. 31-34--Doing the will of the Father is energizing! Are you feeling burned out? Maybe your energy is zapped because you are doing your will, not the Father's.

v. 39--"He told me everything I ever did." That's all there was to the woman's testimony, yet many people believed. So many people will not witness because they are afraid they won't know what to say. What a cop-out!

v. 41--"Because of His words, many more became believers." Jesus will do the convincing. You and I just need to make the introductions. "Friend, meet my best friend Jesus."

v. 48--Are you waiting on a miraculous sign before you will believe in the Messiah? Not me. I've seen all the proof I need. Jesus is the only way, the only truth, the only life, the only path to heaven. Will you join me in following Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment