Friday, December 19, 2008

Isaiah 52 & 53

Please take time to read Isaiah 52 & 53 before reading my commentary. May God's Word speak to you as I never could.

Isaiah 52:3--"For this is what the LORD says: You were sold for nothing, and without money you will be redeemed." This one little word sent me on a hunt for meaning. A consistent theme throughout Scripture is that God redeems His people. The true reason we celebrate Christmas is in fact that Jesus Himself came to be our Redeemer. A keyword search on Biblegateway.com yielded a long list of verses using the words redeem, redeemed, Redeemer, redemption.

The notes in my NIV Study Bible describe Redeemer in this way, "The Hebrew for this word refers to an obligated family protector and thus portrays the Lord as the Family Protector of Israel. He is related to Israel as Father and Husband. As Redeemer he redeems their property, guarantees their freedom, avenges them against their tormentors and secures their posterity for the future." A person needed a redeemer when they had sold themselves into slavery. A woman needed a redeemer when her husband died without leaving any male heirs. You and I need a Redeemer because we have sold ourselves in slavery to sin. You and I are the Bride of Christ. He is our Redeemer Husband, the One who secures our future when all around us is uncertain.

I really liked the Biblegateway description of Redemption. (click to read) This sentence really stood out to me. "The debt against us is not viewed as simply cancelled, but is fully paid." The description of Messiah as Suffering Servant in Isaiah 53 really brings this to light. Just because Jesus, the Son of God, volunteered to pay for our sins, does not mean that God dismissed the consequences. Jesus endured every bit of pain and suffering required to pay for the sins of each and every person who ever lived. Our entry into heaven is not a free pass or comp ticket. Jesus paid for it in blood. Sometimes we picture it in our heads something like this--Heaven is like God performing a major concert, and since we know Jesus, we can simply slip in the back door and get back stage access for free. Only the truth is our ticket to the concert was fully paid for by the death of Jesus. God did not actually grant Jesus permission to bring all his buddies to the show at no cost. Let's not lose sight of the fact that Jesus Paid It All on the cross for us.



How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!" (Is. 52:7) This was one of Bro. Billy's favorite verses to quote. One day after he had taken our youth group on a hike at Black Mesa, he was changing his shoes, and we were teasing him about how ugly his feet were. He quoted this verse to us, and I always think of him any time I read it. It makes me thankful that Billy challenged our group to proclaim the Good News of God's salvation. It makes me grateful that he took the time to invest in our spiritual lives.

The LORD will lay bare his holy arm in the sight of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth will see the salvation of our God. (Is. 52:10) You know how in the movies when guys are getting ready for a fight, they throw off their jackets and roll up their sleeves? That's the picture this verse brings to mind. The arm of the LORD represents the power of God. He has rolled up his shirt sleeves to fight for our victory over sin. Through His mighty power, we can know salvation. When the LORD bares His holy arm, the nations tremble before Him. Oooo, makes me shiver!

Isaiah 53 is a highly debated chapter between Jews and Christians. You can do a google search of the chapter to see the differing opinions. To boil it down, Jews believe Isaiah 53 refers to the suffering of the nation of Israel. Christians believe the chapter prophesies the crucifixion of Jesus the Messiah. I think we can read it both ways. There are many places the Old Testament prophets spoke a message relevant to their day and time while prophesying of the Messiah at the same time. Will you try this experiment for me? Read Isaiah 53 twice. The first time you read it, think of the suffering the Jewish people have endured throughout the centuries. Be amazed at their perseverance to remain a nation called by God. The second time you read it, think of Christ and His suffering for the payment of your sins on the cross. Be amazed that He allowed Himself to be beaten beyond human recognition when He had the power to slay His persecutors with one word from His mouth.

Will you marvel with me at the great lengths God went to in order to redeem His people? Simply Amazing!

2 comments:

  1. For my life application of Chapter 52 I am drawn to verse 11"Depart, depart, go out from there. Touch no unclean thing! Come out from it and be pure, you who carry the vessels of the Lord."

    I carry the vessel of the Lord, Jesus Christ in my heart everyday and I should consciously be protecting myself from things that are unclean.

    verse 12b "the Lord will go before you, the God of Israel will be your rear guard." Wow!!!He doesn't just protect me from one direction. He is all around me!

    I was emailing someone today about things that were keeping me from following this blog and continuing the daily reading and responding but yet I have time to check my email...hmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, I find myself wasting lots time on email as well. Yet, I get lots of encouragement from my email pals. I just need to use my time more wisely. I piddle a lot!

    Thanks for pointing out your favorite verses from Isaiah 52. God's Word truly is living and active!

    ReplyDelete