Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hezekiah

My pastor for most of my growing up years was Brother Billy Rammage. And he loved to pull pranks. One of his favorites was to tell the congregation to turn to the book of Hezekiah. He liked to make up his own verses and quote from Hezekiah, such as, “Toot thy own horn,” Hez. 2:2. Brother Billy was the one who really taught me and my friends how to study God’s Word, and he challenged us to memorize Scripture. I am very fortunate to have had him for a mentor, even if he got a kick out of teasing us mercilessly.

So, even though Hezekiah doesn’t have his own book, he has enough chapters written about his life to have one: 2 Kings 18-20, 2 Chronicles 29-32, Isaiah 36-39. “He did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, just as his father David had done. Hezekiah trusted in the LORD, the God of Israel. There was no one like him among all the kings of Judah, either before him or after him. He held fast to the LORD and did not cease to follow him; he kept the commands the LORD had given Moses. And the LORD was with him; he was successful in whatever he undertook.” (2 Kings 18:3, 5-7a) Let’s make it our goal to be that type of follower of the LORD, one who does what it right, who trusts God, holding fast to the LORD and never ceasing to follow Him. Hezekiah still had to face challenges during his rule. His life was not trouble-free. He faced illness and struggled with pride issues. He was human, just like you and me. Hezekiah was not perfect, but God used him mightily to impact the lives of people because Hezekiah was willing to trust God through good times and bad.

“And Hezekiah prayed to the LORD: ‘O LORD, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth. Give ear, O LORD, and hear; open your eyes, O LORD, and see; listen to words Sennacherib [the enemy king] has sent to insult the living God. Now, O LORD, our God, deliver us from his hand, so that all kingdoms on earth may know that you alone, O LORD, are God.’” (2 Kings 19:15-16, 19) Once again, let me make the point that this is the type of prayer that God is most willing to answer. God delivers when our motivation is to make Him known to everyone around us.

The story of Hezekiah in 2 Chronicles focuses on the rebuilding of the temple and the celebrating of Passover. Hezekiah even invited Israel to join Judah in worshiping God. That’s awesome! “People of Israel, return to the LORD, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, that he may return to you. . . . Come to the sanctuary, which he has consecrated forever. Serve the LORD your God, so that his fierce anger will turn away from you. . . . for the LORD your God is gracious and compassionate. He will not turn his face from you if you return to him.” (2 Chron. 30:6-9) Hezekiah sent the message to all the surrounding towns. “Also in Judah the hand of God was on the people to give them unity of mind to carry out what the king and his officials had ordered, following the word of the LORD.” (2 Chron. 30:12) Unity of mind. Cool!

“In those days Hezekiah became ill and was at the point of death. The prophet Isaiah son of Amoz went to him and said, ‘This is what the LORD says: Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover.’ Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the LORD, ‘Remember, O LORD, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes.’ And Hezekiah wept bitterly. Before Isaiah had left the middle court, the word of the LORD came to him: ‘Go back and tell Hezekiah, the leader of my people, ‘This is what the LORD, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you.’” (2 Kings 20:1-5b) When Hezekiah prayed for healing, he was able to remind God that he had been a faithful servant. Could I do the same?

While we are on the topic of praying for healing, honestly, it bothers me sometimes that all we ever pray for in our Sunday school classes is for sick people to be well. I suppose I need to consider that much of Jesus’ ministry was healing the sick. And Hezekiah is an example of God’s concern for his servants when they are ill. What is your opinion on this subject?

Unlike all the other kings of Judah and Israel, Hezekiah did stay true to following God his entire life. However, his pride was a stumbling block in the end. The king of Babylon sent Hezekiah a get-well card, and while the Babylonian messengers were at the palace to hand-deliver it, Hezekiah treated them to a tour. He showed them all his treasures. When they left, the prophet Isaiah told the king that everything the messengers saw would be carried off to Babylon in the future. Oops! Hezekiah flunked that test (2 Chronicles 32:31)

Isaiah was Hezekiah's priest and prophet. I wonder if they were good friends too. I wonder if Hezekiah was such a great king because of Isaiah's influence. It makes me thankful for the mentors in my life, people like my mom and Brother Billy, my Sunday school teachers, and Nick my BSU director. My husband is a terrific mentor in my life too. I think I'll tell my mentors "Thank You" today.

We will read Isaiah 40 and 52-55 next!

3 comments:

  1. My first thought here was "has Dana lost it, there isn't a book called Hezekiah." But I'm wondering how many tried to find it...lol

    One of my questions I've always pondered is why does God chose to heal some and not others. I know a lot of sick people who have been good servants of his and they haven't been healed. Or have they??? To us someone is only healed if they live, but isn't it true healing when they die and go to be with Jesus? We sometimes are so selfish that we don't want to lose that person, but we don't stop to consider where they are after they die. If they know Christ, they are in a much better place and are truly healed! I never thought much about death until I lost my father. I was truly a "daddy's girl" and couldn't imagine my life without him. But since I've become a Christian I have peace that he is gone now because I know he is in such a beautiful place now and I will see him again!! I'm not sure about those we know don't know the Lord as their savior. I think we do need to pray for their true healing to take place in their hearts, maybe more so than healing in their bodies. I know I don't pray for that kind of healing enough. And wasn't that Jesus true healing that he did, they all believed in Him after that. They had a more important healing than bodily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not the only one asking if "Dana has lost it!!!"

    I agree with what you said, Melissa. Perhaps we should reconsider how we pray for the sick. We really shouldn't pray non-specifics such as, "Please be with so & so," or "Please take care of the sick." We need to pray for God's life-changing power to take place. We need to ask God to glorify Himself in the weakness of the sick person. We should be asking God to reveal His purposes in the sickness. Perhaps His goal is to draw the sick person or their relatives closer to Christ. Perhaps He wishes to display His healing power and receive glory for healing the sick. And as you said, quite often, God's design is to take the person to heaven for ultimate healing.

    Too many times we limit what God does in our lives because we ask Him for too little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And above everything pray for His will to be done, not our own! He has really been pressing that on my heart to pray for that!

    ReplyDelete