Monday, November 24, 2008

Isaiah 2

Isaiah 2:3b--"He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths." God is our teacher. Are we being diligent students of His Word? We are always whining about not knowing what God is going to do. Let's start listening to the Spirit's voice telling us, "This is the way, walk ye in it." (Isaiah 30:21)

Isaiah 2:6--"Come, O house of Jacob, let us walk in the light of the LORD." "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." (Ps. 119:105) O house of Jacob refers to God's people. God's Word to His people is the Bible, and when we read it, we receive direction concerning where God wants us to go and what He wants us to do. A lamp, however, gives light for only one or two steps at a time. Therefore, we must trust God with the big map of our lives as we obediently follow Him one step at a time, one day at a time.

Isaiah 2:6-9 is a very thought-provoking passage. It begins by saying God has abandoned His people, but it continues by saying that the land is full, full of superstitions, full of silver and gold, full of treasures, full of horses and chariots, full of idols. It ends by saying mankind will be humbled. The Jews believed that God's blessing brought prosperity, yet these verses indicate prosperity did not satisfy their longing for relationship with God. I can see this reflected in our own day and time. Our society is full of supersitions, silver, gold, treasures, material wealth, and idols, but our souls are not satisfied because prosperity does not equal relationship to our Creator God. My prayer for our nation is that we (myself included) will stop longing for wealth and financial stability and that we will start chasing after a love relationship with the One True God. Mankind will be humbled. I would much rather bow down willingly before God's throne than to beg for His mercy after tragedy has struck.

Three times this chapter tells us to hide "from the dread of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty." (vs. 10, 19, & 21) My first thought was, "Oh, but I want to see God's majesty!" But not in the context of His judgment on mankind. He is the God who melts mountains and rises to shake the earth. I think we would all want to run and hide in the hills when the wrath of God is unleashed. Praise Jesus because of His sacrifice, which allows us to stand clean before the throne of judgment. We don't often realize the significance of Christ taking our place. He endured the wrath of God so we wouldn't have to. Because of Jesus, I do not have to run and hide from the Father. Hallelujah!

Isaiah 2:11-12 talk of the day of the LORD. The arrogant and proud will be humbled in that day because the LORD alone will be exalted. Let's exalt His Name in our day, ladies. As my husband says, "I want to be at the head of the parade. I don't want to be at the back of the parade."

Isaiah 2:22--"Stop trusting in man, who has but a breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he?" Who or what am I trusting in instead of trusting in God? People? Job? Finances? My own abilities? Of what account is any of it? I'm trusting in Christ, the Solid Rock! Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment